"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took me a little over 4 hours to catch up!  You guys have been busy!  Miss me much??  LOL

QUESTION:  anyone ever used the "if the egg points on one end it's a rooster, if it is mostly rounded it is a hen" before putting them in the bator?  Read it somewhere that rounded eggs were hens, that you could choose what to incubate...  ny truth in this at all or all fiction?
I have already sold over 50 chicks I hatched so far, and have to now hatch my own for my freezer and laying stock.... so it would be good to know if it is possible.

SO, I am coming to Covington on the 13th of June for the weekend.  If there was a party at PETRUS in Alexandria, I WANNA DANCE TOO!!!  LOL

I would like to meet as many of you as possible since I seldom travel and it may be my only chance for a while... pm me if you'd like to try to meet up.  I am going to Angelisici's place for sure since some of us up here ordered meaties I gotta pick up. Then I am definitely meeting up with Pam somewhere, some way for sure... (my sweet soap maker).  

So, our garden is BURSTING!  Squash plants have leaves the size of my tooshie... which is a BIG OL LEAF!  I can tell ya that... Cayennes seem to be growing good and tomato plants just showed their first lil green babies!  Only ended up with 1/8 of the onions I planted, first time for me so gonna have to get more tips to do better next time.
Found an awesome wild blackberry patch 2 miles from my house while walking one day, so I go pick 3 times a week. Have 5 gallon bags full already so looks like I am gonna have some awesome blackberry syrup and jam this year!  Then the dewberries are just everywhere!  SO EXCITED!  My customers have already put in some orders so here I go canning away!

Loved all the pics, jokes, and competitiveness with Wisconsin....  just got so busy!!

I thought you were going to baton rouge. Covington is only a short ride for me. Whats your plans you'll be their the whole weekend I know you have some plans What and when will you be free' I thought your 5k was in baton rouge?

Kuntrygirl posted a detailed "how to" with fotos.

Prim where's the post. We did it but don't feel we got the sac we can still feel it but after squezing and gettig the tweezers etc for 2 hrs we felt that was enough for one night so we cleaned it bandaged it figured we'll try again tomorrow. Pam

got to meet mschicklady today.. she brought me a handsome BR roo!

I'm glad he took to you so well. I hated to part with him since he was one of the first I'd got, but he was the odd ball of the bunch and didn't really seem "at home." Made it to College Station. . . Finally around 7 last night. Lol. Ended up stopping at our favorite store (Nichol's) after meeting you for a quick 10-15 min rest stop that turned into an almost hour shopping spree. Haha! Spent way too much money but got Alisa (the new baby) some cute camo stuff and Jesse (my 3yo little boy) a couple "missed you while Mommy was gone" toys.

We will be having to place an order for shrink bags. Because we order in bulk I usually have extras I can get to you. Costs get lower for us on the shrink bags too I believe when we order more.

The process was simple. Dip in water at 190 for 3 seconds - if that, twist open end up - fold over twisted end and ziptie that bad bird shut!
We did add a heat sealing machine to seal ends after shrinking dip because we are
selling birds we wanted a double seal so the customer could freeze them in packages well and zipties get expensive to use in packaging :( easy but packing costs can kill low cost if we aren't careful. For our own dinner birds or quartered birds we use ziploc bags to save the fancy packaging for customers :lau should have seen hubbys face when I pulled out dinner one day (a fully packaged/weighed and labeled bird :gig) he was like OMG we just ATE $3 bucks we didn't have too! Atta boy! The more we save doing the cheaper we can provide it to our friends and community members!
I wonder.  I don't have resources to pay over $100 for bags.  I'll have to research.  Or I may just cut them up and put in zip bags.   And yes, they are convinced it's dementia.   Which I do take meds for.    :lau   But, you know, I'm sure I wasn't such a wussie when I was younger.   All 3 of them (including gson) think I'm nuts.  When I can  buy it sooooo cheap at the store.   
:bow love her! We will have some more chickens soon! Hehehehe
Hahaha. If I did meaties I would get the same reaction from my family. They all want to eat Angel's chicken when I cook it. Lol. I buy organic chicken but Angrl's is even better. If I am eating chicken, Amanda says, "is that the good (Angel's) chicken?" She always wants some of Angel's chicken.

Last edited:
We don't count birds round these parts :gig
We eat the noisy ones and free range. See those wild chickens over there?! :)
too many variables (in chicken math)
Chicks don't count till they're sexed.
Retirees & rescues don't count they've earned a safe haven.
Can't count roosters or meaties because well that's dinner growing in the garden! Duh!

So really, I think we have room for a few girls still no? :lau
Hahaha. Only the most lovable outlaws unless you try to hurt our family, our friends or our critters. I'm not talking to our new bee, she's already in the family. I'm talking all those outsiders like anyone that wants to count my chickens. Lol

I wonder. I don't have resources to pay over $100 for bags. I'll have to research. Or I may just cut them up and put in zip bags. And yes, they are convinced it's dementia. Which I do take meds for.
lau.gif
But, you know, I'm sure I wasn't such a wussie when I was younger. All 3 of them (including gson) think I'm nuts. When I can buy it sooooo cheap at the store.
Poo on them!!! I want to be just like you when I grow up!!! You are amazing!!! I love that you are open to all sorts of new "things" and adventures. Once you find a way to "slip them the ckicken"
hide.gif
they will think it's the BEST TASTING CHICKEN EVER!!! At that point, I'd tell them it's that "expensive organic chicken" from the store...something new they started carrying. I think I'd tell them it's REALLY expensive and make some $$$$ on the side. To at least pay for the feed, etc.

I thought you were going to baton rouge. Covington is only a short ride for me. Whats your plans you'll be their the whole weekend I know you have some plans What and when will you be free' I thought your 5k was in baton rouge?
I think the 5K she's going to is in the Terra Bella subdivision in Covington. She'll let you know. I sure do wish I could meet up with you guys too!!!! I will be visiting my grandma with my two boys in Ohio.

I'm glad he took to you so well. I hated to part with him since he was one of the first I'd got, but he was the odd ball of the bunch and didn't really seem "at home." Made it to College Station. . . Finally around 7 last night. Lol. Ended up stopping at our favorite store (Nichol's) after meeting you for a quick 10-15 min rest stop that turned into an almost hour shopping spree. Haha! Spent way too much money but got Alisa (the new baby) some cute camo stuff and Jesse (my 3yo little boy) a couple "missed you while Mommy was gone" toys.
while reading this, i was thinking "she was able to stay in nichols for 10-15 minutes?? WOW!" then i kept reading and saw it turned into almost an hour... thats more realistic. lol

Prim where's the post. We did it but don't feel we got the sac we can still feel it but after squezing and gettig the tweezers etc for 2 hrs we felt that was enough for one night so we cleaned it bandaged it figured we'll try again tomorrow. Pam

Send her a PM. I can't remember whether she PMed me or posted on our thread. But it was a super good walk through with fotos.

Back
Top Bottom