"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

My lovely ameraucana might not make it
sad.png

I went out for eggs and found her in a nest limp and barely panting. I immediately picked her up and brought her into a cool room & set her up comfy w/water. She was still fading out so I wet her down a little. She's slowly coming around. I hope she pulls through she's my favorite.

Fairly certain its heat stroke. She's not egg bound and lays small eggs. They all have fresh water and bricks in ice baths they're using as well as frozen jugs...but I did not put a frozen jug near nests
today
sad.png
I will be continuing to add one to the nest areas too now.
Aw, that is sad! I am sorry. What do you do to keep them cool?

My lovely ameraucana might not make it :(
I went out for eggs and found her in a nest limp and barely panting. I immediately picked her up and brought her into a cool room & set her up comfy w/water. She was still fading out so I wet her down a little. She's slowly coming around. I hope she pulls through she's my favorite.

Fairly certain its heat stroke. She's not egg bound and lays small eggs. They all have fresh water and bricks in ice baths they're using as well as frozen jugs...but I did not put a frozen jug near nests
today :( I will be continuing to add one to the nest areas too now.

Go get electrolites to add to all water! Hope she makes it!!!!

I read on one of the chicken blogs to add mint to water it helps cool them off . Just a couple here and there. Spearmint is better than peppermint but both will work. If using peppermint use less. Pam

I grow many mints! I even add a sprig here and there to the nests when I cut them back (not for heat help just for them to foo foo around with lol), never thought of the mint water thanks.
I read on one of the chicken blogs to add mint to water it helps cool them off . Just a couple here and there. Spearmint is better than peppermint but both will work. If using peppermint use less. Pam

I am so sorry. This heat is really getting to them. What worries me most is that it will be getting even warmer within the next few weeks.

She's walking now, unsteady body wise but keeps trying to do normal things. Eating ribs, drinking and back in the yard with the others. I'll feel better once she roosts for the night :) was scared. Most of the time, if I find a bird that far gone they're a goner. So glad I mosied over for eggs when I did.

She's walking now, unsteady body wise but keeps trying to do normal things. Eating ribs, drinking and back in the yard with the others. I'll feel better once she roosts for the night :) was scared. Most of the time, if I find a bird that far gone they're a goner. So glad I mosied over for eggs when I did.

I'm glad you did too! But I wouldn't feel out of the woods yet. Keep her cool and baby her tonight and tomorrow when they come that close they can slip back quickly. So keep a close eye. It's hotter than normal for this time of year. I'm adding electrolytes to everyone's water. I've also added mint. Tomorrow I'll be looking for two small fans more to keep misquotes off hopefully preventive against foul pox. I'm happy she has made it so far. Pam

Thought I'd up date some pis of my 4 month old chickens.
The top is silver laced Wyandot and golden Phoenix hens. The second pic has the Phoenix Rooster with hens. The third is the Phoenix hen along with the last one she is turning into a beauty the pics don't do her Justus.

Back
Top Bottom