"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I have one Easter egger that mated with my legbar rooster. I just put the eggs in my new bator. I hope I get a good hatch. its my first time. :jumpy Can't wait till hatch day. Pam

Well, I started with five barnyard mixes, a cross of buff orpington, black australorp, and Rhode Island Red. But the man hand bantams on his property, and I think we ended up with a bunch of bantam barnyard mixes. Then we have a black copper marans, and five speckled sussex in quarantine.

I have no idea on any of their ages; the original five we've had for three weeks. I've gotten a lot of guesses...

Most of their combs are getting color and wattles are coming in. Only the biggest barnyard girl and the BCM are fully feathered. I can fit at least one finger in the pelvis on them all, and some have a little more wiggle room than others (finger and a half?).

I don't regret not starting with babies, because I don't think I could handle waiting that long. But I do wish I knew how old they were.

Local girl called me recently, wondering if i could tell how old her 'new' hen additions were. I had no clue.... An elderly couple had given theirs up, promising good layers etc. WELL.... they are about 4 years old according to her vet. SO... I just hope for you that this is not the case. Cause new pets she got, layers indeed not.
Jenn

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I cant stand it. Incubating drives me nutso!!!!

More of the red blood line across the inner shell.... half I placed in there are dead.. good thing they were only 10 days old, HATE when it is a good looking close to hatch developed chick. I've read all I can... still dont know what I am doing wrong. Hatch rates ARE up, but I am greedy, I WANT ALL TO LIVE!
.......(venting).....
Looking for my Harley Riding Boots.
One of my longtime friends' mother finally passed Sunday. I say finally, since that is what she said, "Can God just finally let me quit suffering...." So for that peace, we say finally.... She was a spitfire of a woman though.... by golly, wants us all to wear our Harley gear, small service then a huge party out at VALHALLA campground in Homer afterwards.
It has been really hard watching Mama Jean, no diagnosis, from 154 pounds down to 72.... But enough of that, she is where she deserves to be... oh and all the raining, it is Mama Jeans fault.... she griped that we hadn't been watering her flowers at home enough so seems she is taking care of that for us!! LOL

I have one Easter egger that mated with my legbar rooster. I just put the eggs in my new bator. I hope I get a good hatch. its my first time.
jumpy.gif
Can't wait till hatch day. Pam
What kind of bator did ya get??? auto turner??

Local girl called me recently, wondering if i could tell how old her 'new' hen additions were.  I had no clue....  An elderly couple had given theirs up, promising good layers etc.  WELL....  they are about 4 years old according to her vet.   SO... I just hope for you that this is not the case. Cause new pets she got, layers indeed not.   
Jenn

No, I think I'm in better shape. Most are still peeping, and those that aren't still have small light combs. (Which is why I think I'm no good at the pelvis guesses...)

It's so cool this morning I made myself a cup of coffee to enjoy outside while I watched the girls pick around. And then... Well, I thought y'all would get a kick out of this. :D

Welcome!!  I've decided that you are either "chicken people" or  your not!  lol...  People seem to decide pretty quickly.  I have friends that act like the ckickens are deadly beasts!  lol...It's always fun to introduce your girls to new people.  I feel like a proud mama...

Ditto on chicken people. But you do get converts once they see their fun to watch. And they give you nutrious delishious eggs. Fresh eggs nothing like the grocery sometimes the eggs at the grocery are a month old before hitting the shelf.
Craked have you started your new coop yet? Can't wait to see it.

FYI: My education on this subject was gained in '70 -'81. I used to buy seconds for resale, delivering eggs. My Customers loved them because they told me they were very fresh. They were the eggs culled daily. Those are not stored, they are sold to food processing company's such as Pillsbury. I learned a lot about eggs at that time, but not chickens. This may very likely be out of date...... :/ Or not.

it is often worse then that. Eggs are stockpiled for winter and in perpetration for Easter [max of 4 mo]. Goal is to give the grocer (do not remember exactly) between 4 to 6 weeks to get eggs on the shelf, the customer a minim of 2 weeks to use eggs with a total of 6 mo. Usable eggs. However, you never know, how old your eggs are. Practice, I heard, but not confirmed, do to advances in force laying and ability to purchase pullets in case of and epidemic to replace their flock. Has resulted in reduced storage of eggs, (saving them $$$$), and fresher eggs in the market place. I am guessing, they do not have to raise their own pullets any more.

Back
Top Bottom