"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

No, I think I'm in better shape. Most are still peeping, and those that aren't still have small light combs. (Which is why I think I'm no good at the pelvis guesses...)

It's so cool this morning I made myself a cup of coffee to enjoy outside while I watched the girls pick around. And then... Well, I thought y'all would get a kick out of this.
big_smile.png

Well I DID get a kick out of that! And your right, she is young.... to me, not old enough to lay yet... bout 3 months maybe??? just judging from your hand and cup compared to her...

Well I DID get a kick out of that!  And your right, she is young.... to me, not old enough to lay yet...  bout 3 months maybe???  just judging from your hand and cup compared to her...  

She's one of my peepers, and one I suspect of being a bantam mix. This is what she looked like three and a half weeks ago:

The little yellow head is still super tiny:

She's one of my peepers, and one I suspect of being a bantam mix. This is what she looked like three and a half weeks ago:

The little yellow head is still super tiny:

From these pics I'd guess two months the look about the same as my legbar chicks. Which were hatched June 21st.. I'll post current pics later today. Pam

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! I cant stand it. Incubating drives me nutso!!!!

More of the red blood line across the inner shell.... half I placed in there are dead.. good thing they were only 10 days old, HATE when it is a good looking close to hatch developed chick. I've read all I can... still dont know what I am doing wrong. Hatch rates ARE up, but I am greedy, I WANT ALL TO LIVE!
.......(venting).....
Looking for my Harley Riding Boots.
One of my longtime friends' mother finally passed Sunday. I say finally, since that is what she said, "Can God just finally let me quit suffering...." So for that peace, we say finally.... She was a spitfire of a woman though.... by golly, wants us all to wear our Harley gear, small service then a huge party out at VALHALLA campground in Homer afterwards.
It has been really hard watching Mama Jean, no diagnosis, from 154 pounds down to 72.... But enough of that, she is where she deserves to be... oh and all the raining, it is Mama Jeans fault.... she griped that we hadn't been watering her flowers at home enough so seems she is taking care of that for us!! LOL
Sorry about Mama Jean, but she was so ready to go.
On the hatching thing I may can help:

http://www.epsaegypt.com/pdf/2011_june/15- 1271.pdf

This tells about soaking the eggs in Vitamin C for 2 minutes and letting dry before you put in 'bator. Then on day 16 do a cool down phase for 6 hrs. Take top off and spritz. Then after 6 hrs the temp will be around 75 degrees put top back on. Good results

HOWEVER, Ron Ott said he doesn't know anything about the Vitamin C soak and what he does is from day 8 to day 18 he takes the top off and spritzes water and lets them sit for 2 hrs. Hatchability and vitality rate is way up. This is the method I'm doing for my White Plymouth Rocks. I'm on day 20 I think and am on lockdown. We'll see. I've tried to do everything like he said and he has a 90 something hatch rate. I do a dry hatch method. I've got Swedish Flower Hen eggs coming next week and I think I'll try the Vitamin C soak and then do Rons way. Out the the rocks I have now I have 2 clears and 11 that are growing. That is all I know.
highfive.gif

Edited: With our humidity, don't spritz

Last edited:
Sorry about Mama Jean, but she was so ready to go.  
On the hatching thing I may can help:

http://www.epsaegypt.com/pdf/2011_june/15- 1271.pdf

This tells about soaking the eggs in Vitamin C for 2 minutes  and letting dry before you put in 'bator.   Then on day 16 do a cool down phase for 6 hrs.  Take top off and spritz.  Then after 6 hrs  the temp will be around 75 degrees put top back on.    Good results

HOWEVER,  Ron Ott said he doesn't know anything about the Vitamin C soak and what he does is from day 8 to day 18 he takes the top off and spritzes water and lets them sit for 2 hrs.  Hatchability  and vitality rate is  way up.  This is the method I'm doing for my White Plymouth Rocks.  I'm on day 20 I think and am on lockdown.  We'll see.  I've tried to do everything like he said and he has a 90 something hatch rate. I do a dry hatch method.   I've got Swedish Flower Hen eggs coming next week and I think I'll try the Vitamin C soak and then do Rons way.   Out the the rocks I have now I have 2 clears and 11 that are growing.  That is all I know.    :highfive:  

Edited:  With our humidity, don't spritz

The directions that came with my bator call for a daily cool down. It mimicked the hens getting up to eat etc. Pam

The directions that came with my bator call for a daily cool down. It mimicked the hens getting up to eat etc. Pam

How long do you do your cool down.? I'm hoping for healthy chicks this time. These are the replacement birds the seller sent when all were scrambled before. Have you checked out the Dry Hatching threads? Hatchability is a lot higher I hear.

Back
Top Bottom