"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Welcome to all the New members,
welcome-byc.gif
I have been bowed up converting a large garden shed into a guest house, I now remember why i became a mechanic and not a carpenter. We made a decent egg sale today, 3 dz 7$, thats about 5 days worth of feed.

This fellow right here has got to be the smartest, gentlelist, sexiest Rooster a hen could ask for, everywhere he goes he has 24 hens around him, he can not turn around but what one of them isn't squatting in his face, i should have named him Brooster, i think i now know why no birds of prey have tried to get at one of my chickens, they are affraid he will mount them too. I saw him mount one of the BA roosters that was sevicing a hen yesterday, Bossman has his way of getting his point across to the younger roosters.

Welcome to all the New members, :welcome I have been bowed up converting a large garden shed into a guest house, I now remember why i became a mechanic and not a carpenter. We made a decent egg sale today, 3 dz 7$, thats about 5 days worth of feed. This fellow right here has got to be the smartest, gentlelist, sexiest Rooster a hen could ask for, everywhere he goes he has 24 hens around him, he can not turn around but what one of them isn't squatting in his face, i should have named him Brooster, i think i now know why no birds of prey have tried to get at one of my chickens, they are affraid he will mount them too. I saw him mount one of the BA roosters that was sevicing a hen yesterday, Bossman has his way of getting his point across to the younger roosters.
What a man lol. Is he one of the ones you got from me. If so he is acting like his pappy lol. Some of my hens are molting and I'm still waiting on more of my pullets to start. Still have six roos to dispatch of one way or another.

What a man lol. Is he one of the ones you got from me. If so he is acting like his pappy lol. Some of my hens are molting and I'm still waiting on more of my pullets to start. Still have six roos to dispatch of one way or another.
Yep, he is the only one left i got from you, he is colored like a coocoo marans now, i will get a new picture of him and post it tomorrow, i have him and 14 hens i got from you plus the 10 RSLs, out of the 24, i get 19/20 eggs a day, i have about 30 more that will be laying soon, i have a true Dominique with pea comb as red as can be, and 4 others turning, so they should be laying in the next 2 or 3 wqeeks. They are not with a rooster, i need to find me a heritage DOM Roo, i am not going to mix these.

Hi Sean O,

I'm an old retired biology teacher. Very good pictures! Not often one can witness such an event, not that a lot of folks would want to. I'm very pleased that you didn't panic and kill the kingsnake, like most folks would do.

It's been a long time since I worked on building a snake collection for my classes, or took a Herpetology class at McNeese U. But, IMHO, you are right, it's a beautiful Speckled Kingsnake, and it appears to be eating a Western Rat Snake - but without closer examination, just an educated guess. I don't know about the egg eating habits of all snakes, for sure. But, I would suspect that both of theses snakes would enjoy fresh chicken eggs.

I've got a rat problem around my coop, and others here have kindly suggested that I get a cat. I'm sure that works in many cases, but my pen is surrounded by an electrified fence to keep out dogs, coons, coyotes, etc, and I wouldn't want to fry a kitty. So, I'm hoping that the speckled kingsnakes I've seen around my place will step up to the task! A rat snake in the mix wouldn't hurt also. Unless very young chickens are around, I would guess that the number of eggs that a snake would steal wouldn't be a problem, unless one has only a couple of chickens. There's a large drainage ditch not far from my coop, and I'm surprised I haven't seen water snakes, copperheads or moccasins in our yard. Of course, I know it would be the last time one of my family members would go to collect eggs if they opened the lid to a nest and saw a big kingsnake or rat snake coiled up there.
ep.gif

Anyway, thanks for the great post.

My dog unplugged the bator! :th I checked yesterday and all was well. Today unplugged , I don't know for how long. I plugged it back in. I'm hopping for the best. Tomorrow is candeling day. Hope they aren't all dead. :barnie I hope I give a happy report tomorrow . Pam

Hi Sean O,

I'm an old retired biology teacher. Very good pictures! Not often one can witness such an event, not that a lot of folks would want to. I'm very pleased that you didn't panic and kill the kingsnake, like most folks would do.

It's been a long time since I worked on building a snake collection for my classes, or took a Herpetology class at McNeese U. But, IMHO, you are right, it's a beautiful Speckled Kingsnake, and it appears to be eating a Western Rat Snake - but without closer examination, just an educated guess. I don't know about the egg eating habits of all snakes, for sure. But, I would suspect that both of theses snakes would enjoy fresh chicken eggs.

I've got a rat problem around my coop, and others here have kindly suggested that I get a cat. I'm sure that works in many cases, but my pen is surrounded by an electrified fence to keep out dogs, coons, coyotes, etc, and I wouldn't want to fry a kitty. So, I'm hoping that the speckled kingsnakes I've seen around my place will step up to the task! A rat snake in the mix wouldn't hurt also. Unless very young chickens are around, I would guess that the number of eggs that a snake would steal wouldn't be a problem, unless one has only a couple of chickens. There's a large drainage ditch not far from my coop, and I'm surprised I haven't seen water snakes, copperheads or moccasins in our yard. Of course, I know it would be the last time one of my family members would go to collect eggs if they opened the lid to a nest and saw a big kingsnake or rat snake coiled up there.
ep.gif

Anyway, thanks for the great post.
Thank you for a little more insight on what was going on.

I went out there about two hours later and the Kingsnake had just finished eating the other snake. I picked it up (it was very heavy because of the other snake inside) and relocated it into the woods. I figure that the snake will not need another meal for some time. I think i know where it got in so I will seal up the coop a little better and go from there. I will only kill a snake if it is venomous because of the children in the area.

Good luck with the rat problem

Last edited:

So, after the stray dog attack day before yesterday, Clarabelle showed up!!! Torn up some, patches of feathers missing but my baby is back. Doctored her good. But, only have one left at this age in the picture. Can't mix ages well here, older ones tease to death. So, I have a new baby....

So, after the stray dog attack day before yesterday, Clarabelle showed up!!! Torn up some, patches of feathers missing but my baby is back. Doctored her good. But, only have one left at this age in the picture. Can't mix ages well here, older ones tease to death. So, I have a new baby....
So cute, Jennifer, glad you got her back. What is she?
pop.gif

My dog unplugged the bator! :th I checked yesterday and all was well. Today unplugged , I don't know for how long. I plugged it back in. I'm hopping for the best. Tomorrow is candeling day. Hope they aren't all dead. :barnie I hope I give a happy report tomorrow . Pam

Oh no!! What day are you on. They can be tough and pull through depending on how long and how far developed. I'm gonna load a few dozen in my bator this weekend just to try it out. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom