"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Pretty girls! Get those egg recipes ready! Do you have somewhere you can buy extra clean egg cartons? Our feed store here sells them. Its nice when I sell eggs to use them. But sometimes people give them to me also.

I am going to load 20 eggs in the bator tomorrow, got a new digital therm/hygrometer and it reads tthe same as the ones on the incubator, the therms i used last time is reading 4 degrees colder, so i am almost positive that is why the chicks came 2 days early. Donna will be carring for them until i get home on the 22nd. All these were straight from the nests today. 6 OEs to replace some of the ones i sold yesterday, I amgoing to get 3 Blue Adalusians hens and a roo tomorrow plus to Buff orpingtons, trading 5 Black sex link hens for them.

I was wondering about those temps but we have all had it happen. Sounds like a good trade to me.

That makes sense. My SS pullet has changed her shape and now I have to identify her by markings when she's with the other hens. The mixed pullet has a very red comb. These pics are from before Christmas:

Australorp mixed pullet and FBCM pullet:

Mixed pullet in the background, true (?) australorp pullet and sussex pullet.

I guess by spring they'll all be ready! :highfive:

The mixed Marens comb and wattles will grow a little more before She is mature. Your Australorpe looks mixed.I'll post a current pic of mine tomorrow. Pam

I'm excited for this Blue Copper Marans hen to get bigger. I can't wait to see what her and this olive egger turn out to look like. The olive egger is a Blue Splash. Beautiful and a Diva already.

You have BCM's? I didn't know that you were off BYC for a while. What Breeds do you have now? My olive eggers didn't work they lay light brown eggs compared to Maren eggs. Pam

Well I received the Bielefelder eggs today. Perfect timing weather-wise because it's supposed to get down into the teens tonight.

The ones in front came from coastline poultry in N.C. I ordered 40, she sent a few extras and some pullet eggs from one that just started laying. The air cells were saddle shaped and some looked pretty rough. Some of the eggs I couldn't tell what was going on in them. One egg was cracked out of 48. Overall I think they are in typical shape shipped eggs will be in.

The eggs in the back section are from Pam. I think they were handled a bit rough as the box had a dent on a corner. The air cells were badly distorted. The lighter colored eggs are Legbars that Pam through in as extras. One of them had a rolling air sac and it looked like the yoke was damaged.

I don't have high hopes for this hatch but we'll see what happens. :)

My plan is to let the eggs rest for about 12 hrs because some of the eggs from N.C. are about 7 days old already. Put them in the incubator tonight with turner off. Wait 48 hrs and check the air cells. Then after that I'm not sure??? :)

Well I received the Bielefelder eggs today. Perfect timing weather-wise because it's supposed to get down into the teens tonight. The ones in front came from coastline poultry in N.C. I ordered 40, she sent a few extras and some pullet eggs from one that just started laying. The air cells were saddle shaped and some looked pretty rough. Some of the eggs I couldn't tell what was going on in them. One egg was cracked out of 48. Overall I think they are in typical shape shipped eggs will be in. The eggs in the back section are from Pam. I think they were handled a bit rough as the box had a dent on a corner. The air cells were badly distorted. The lighter colored eggs are Legbars that Pam through in as extras. One of them had a rolling air sac and it looked like the yoke was damaged. I don't have high hopes for this hatch but we'll see what happens. :) My plan is to let the eggs rest for about 12 hrs because some of the eggs from N.C. are about 7 days old already. Put them in the incubator tonight with turner off. Wait 48 hrs and check the air cells. Then after that I'm not sure??? :)
So EGGciting! :D I wish I had waited so we could have had our own little chicken newbie hatch-a-long.

Hey guys!! Did ya miss me? LOL.
Life has been so hectic, I do hope you all are doing good. Obviously got a TON to read through to get caught up. BUT, I'm putting 24 eggs in the bator so here's to a new year!

Hope everybody stays safe in the freeze! I ran home at lunch; changed clothes & hustled out to fill up all the waterers & 4 extra large containers of water, as my little water line out at the barn will most likely freeze up. Laid in extra feed. Covered the water line & faucet. Jim & my Dad picked all the lemons yesterday - some of them are still on the green side - unheard of! this tree is about 20 years old & we have never left lemons on it this late before! Now I can freeze lemon "ice cubes" for all year long. I guess we're as ready as we can get for this winter weather.

Vulgar????? I daresay that my hens think their derrière is fancy!
lau.gif
lau.gif
And they are proud of those "big girl" changes! Hahaha! My youngest will grab up a hen, feel her pelvic bones and move feathers to see if that vent is wider than the previous time she checked it. She is not ashamed.

And I do believe a few hundred pages back there were some close up booty shots posted for everyones close inspections. For diagnostic purposes of course
wink.png
lau.gif
Bahahaha Nothing is sacred in the chicken business!!!!! All out there for show and tell. How can we learn otherwise? Still waiting on my slackers. Only one little super blue egg layer giving me small eggs. 5 of them now. The other six pullets. Nada.
I got my smart phone now just have to learn to run the darn thing and be able to download pictures.

Day 20 and hearing cheeps. 8 Marradunna Basques and 3 Lemon Cukoo Orpingtons. I hope, I hope, I hope.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom