"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

@ Pam I better keep an eye on the temp then. Thank you for reminding me about the humidity going up.

@ Lemon so it may have been a development issue or possibly a genetic trait that didn't need to be passed on had you saved it.

Awesome Mira Lays Olive... was it Bertha?

Is that the one that is grey and tan? If so then thats the one. Now priscilla should lay soon.

Not the greatest pic its more olive than green. Pam

So, I collected eggs for 4 days, left in a bowl in kitchen, then incubated all at once.

Humidity wavered from 40-55, and all eggs on sides, hand turned 3-5 times a day.

Today is day 18.... and I hear a chick chirping! I am so excited!

Plus, my only surviving Dom hen is finally laying, they are so small, cutsey!

Loving Birdmans Peas!

I already put another batch of eggs in a bator... can you tell I cant help myself?!

Is that the one that is grey and tan? If so then thats the one. Now priscilla should lay soon.

Not the greatest pic its more olive than green. Pam

Yes that is Bertha, Not as big as Martha's but beautiful . Now you have olive , blue and brown. This Easter will not have to dye eggs lol

Last edited:
Heard back from the breeder in Florida today; they don't have anything at this time, but suggested I check back in a few months. They didn't bother to answer any of my questions about bloodlines, or send pics of parent stock. Oh well.

I found (through Facebook) a sussex hen for $15. I was interested, but husband reminded me how much better it would be to hatch eggs. Biosecurity and whatnot. After that I saw a pair of SS for sale. So I guess I need to put out my ISO: EGGS posts again.

Is a chicks head positioned wrong when they pip the wrong end. Did it pip the small end? How does a chick do this if the air cell is in the large end?

Yea I'm so glad to have this forum to refer to. The assisted hatch guide has helped me keep my hair and you guys of course. I now understand how the compulsion to want to help can become overwhelming. Seeing the pip is not that bad but when you hear them peeping it makes you just want to help. :) The pipped egg I have now has not changed all day. The chick is peeping. I know your dilemma you had in the past. I'm glad I somewhat understand the process now. I've gone through it in my head. :) If I tried to help it now by creating a zip it would/could dry out the membrane. It pipped early so it may kill it and/or it is not through absorbing the yolk. If I wait until tomorrow evening @ 40 hrs from the initial pip i'll have to open the bator and risk dropping the humidity on other eggs that may be pipping or zipping. So playing it by ear. May not be worth the risk on a pullet egg but if the chick stays alive in the shell for three days and can't unzip because the shell is too small then it must be strong enough to make it through the hatch process. Ya'll know I'll ask before I do anything. :)

Edit a couple hrs later. The pullet egg chick looks like it may be starting to unzip and another is pipping.

Yes, if they pip on the wrong end they are positioned incorrectly in the egg. The good news is in these cases the chick was able to pip. If it can breathe it stands an okay chance with some later help. The ones I tend to lose are the ones so turned around they can't pip such as head between legs. Now when a chick normally hatches it pips into the air cell and breathes for a while, which can be 12-24 hours. Then the chick pips and it can easily take another day after that, sometimes even more. I've had an egg take 30 hours after pip. When a chick pips in the wrong place that is when they would have normally been internally pipping so it will take longer before they are near ready to help. As far as drying the membrane, Bacitracin ointment. That became my best friend in assists. It keeps the moisture in far longer then water and helps keep out bacteria to boot. If you do ever help the key is to go very, very slowly. chip off little bits of shell and moisten the membrane as you go. If you see veins or encounter bleeding stop immediately. A small amount of bleeding won't be fatal but you should stop as the chick is not ready.

Back
Top Bottom