"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thank you Linda. Though I'm feeling kind of bad because I'm not so sure I made the right decision in trying to help the third chick out, the one with the ointment. The other two are alive in the bator. These are hard calls to make for a beginner. I was afraid these being shipped eggs that the damaged air cells were causing this and that I needed to do something fast. I guess it's a success if the they live when assisted. When I finally get to hatch my own eggs(not shipped) I feel I'll have something to compare to. I think the humidity 30% for incubation and 54% for hatch was good because all the others had no problems hatching. The ones I got to watch hatch were wet compared to the ones I assisted.

I'm also not so sure I didn't kill the pullet egg chick by accident. I believe it was fine when I pulled it out of the bator. I think I may have caused it to inhale water by dipping it's beak in water. But I guess I'll never know. Aren't we supposed to show the chicks were the water is in this way or not? 

No they find it. I use nipples from hatch on they are attracted to red. The one I helped with a dropper couldn't reach it it was smaller than the rest. For you first time this is a success, my first one I hatched two. How many of mine have hatched? I would still keep going till 22 to23 days. Pam

Last edited:
FBC Marens, I would think the way it lets you Handel it,it would be a hen. I watched a lot of feather sexting videos on utube. One catch you have to check at 3 days old or younger. Yours sure is pretty. Pam

I think it's a hen by its behavior too. Super laid back. So I should have the blue splash olive egger hen, the black copper Marans hen, the blue copper Marans hen, and the blue Isbar hen. One of each. That will make nice additions to our egg basket for sure! I still haven't found a home for the olive egger cockerel. His time is almost up!

This guy in the other hand is looking real handsome so far! And he won't be going anywhere.

Rory

Last edited:
When we were cleaning up the juvie pen today my youngest put this juice bottle down since they are all getting bigger. There was already a one gallon regular type water container in there. But the young ones were super fascinated with the nipple poultry waterer.

What I meant was that she wanted to add an additional water source in case they all happened to be thirsty at the same time. She is such a little chicken momma. :lol:

Last edited:
No they find it. I use nipples from hatch on they are attracted to red. The one I helped with a dropper couldn't reash it it was smaller than the rest. For you first time this is a success, my first one I hatched two. How many of mine have hatched? I would still keep going till 22 to23 days. Pam
:)
Pam, 8 of yours made it to lockdown. 7 are in the brooder and the other is the one with the ointment.
There's one egg left from coastline that hasn't externally pipped. Will keep going :)

I think it's a hen by its behavior too. Super laid back. So I should have the blue splash olive egger hen, the black copper Marans hen, the blue copper Marans hen, and the blue Isbar hen. One of each. That will make nice additions to our egg basket for sure! I still haven't found a home for the olive egger cockerel. His time is almost up!

This guy in the other hand is looking real handsome so far! And he won't be going anywhere.

Rory

Very nice birds yours always are. Pam

When we were cleaning up the juvie pen today my youngest put this juice bottle down since they are all getting bigger. There was already a one gallon regular type water container in there. But the young ones were super fascinated with the nipple poultry waterer.

What I meant was that she wanted to add an additional water source in case they all happened to be thirsty at the same time. She is such a little chicken momma. :lol:

I love them no more poop water. Pam

:)
Pam, 8 of yours made it to lockdown. 7 are in the brooder and the other is the one with the ointment.
There's one egg left from coastline that hasn't externally pipped. Will keep going :)

Considering the ruff handeling I think that's good numbers! I'll cross my fingers for the last one. Pam

Considering the ruff handeling I think that's good numbers! I'll cross my fingers for the last one. Pam

It's out Pam, I decided to finish what I started because it started to zip. It zipped past the membrane I exposed without breaking it because it wasn't backed up by the shell. The chick should be ok. I'll let you know the numbers on males vs females tomorrow.

Overall I'm pleased with what hatched. Just a few chicks shy of 50% for shipped eggs.

I'm sorry I lost the little chick but It was a cockerel and right now there's more males than females.

CODY: I think your so attentive for a first timer! I am not a newbie and still make mistakes, which of course I just made another... poor early pipper drowned.... but a huge thumbs up to ya!!!

Pam: I will NEVER be a star of any kind except to my kids... BUT I LOVE being a part of history in my own background artist way. SO, yall be sure to look for my ugly mug on Hank WIlliams Sr. movie called I SAW THE LIGHT, as well as the tv show on WGN Salem 2nd season which will start early April. SUPPORT IT CAUSE I WANNA WORK! LOL

LINDA: expect a call soon since I am in the mood for a visit and lunch partner!

SO, advice needed.
We are moving to an established property. Three chain length dog kennels side by side. A fully enclosed, two 8x10 rooms, tin sheet roofed, floor covered in hay building I can also use. THAT is the existing set up I am going to be working from. Tips people, anything I may need to remember to do before moving my babies there since our predators will be tripled they can no longer free range so that is also something I wont like but the one acre garden will suffice for a natural diet. ANYWAY, remind me of what I may forget to do or not do. ALSO yall may rememeber I ADORE hardware cloth so reinforcing with that will definitely be happening. Pics to come soon....

Back
Top Bottom