"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Right, that makes sense. We're not aiming for cash crop yields, just some little nibbly surprises for the campers. :)

You know what grows like a dream here and gives lots of berries??? Wild black berries. And the berries can be huge. So if what you are using doesn't work as well as you want. You can just go dig some from the woods. And you can more those suckers down and it doesn't faze them and they have thorns for DAYS!!!

We have gone out and picked those berries to make jam for the last few years. They are delicious!

You know what grows like a dream here and gives lots of berries??? Wild black berries. And the berries can be huge. So if what you are using doesn't work as well as you want. You can just go dig some from the woods. And you can more those suckers down and it doesn't faze them and they have thorns for DAYS!!!

We have gone out and picked those berries to make jam for the last few years. They are delicious!

We used to pick buckets of them at our last camp. They grow around the barn, here, but usually get mowed down before they produce. Maybe this year I can try to flag the bushes and keep them safe. We have a bulldozer coming next month, so :fl

We used to pick buckets of them at our last camp. They grow around the barn, here, but usually get mowed down before they produce. Maybe this year I can try to flag the bushes and keep them safe. We have a bulldozer coming next month, so :fl

That sounds like a good idea.

This picture reminds me of summer. I can't wait! http://instagram.com/p/oWmlK3iQtt/

I do the same thing here -- they grow rampant down at the bayou. Makes a great cobbler, too!

I waited as long as I could on today's second sussex egg then gave up and loaded the bator. Eleven SS eggs, four FBMC under SS. Pretty excited to hatch a second generation of my very own babies!

This was before the latest FBMC egg came in.

Last edited:
We're having a hard freeze here to night. If you have birds with big combs you might want to Vaseline their comb to protect from frost bite. I'm freezing my butt off here. The vet for NPIP would pick the coldest day of the year to come test my birds. Pam

Hello all ! ! ! Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to wave a hand from the big city of Vinton. I also wanted to see if anyone has ordered a Cackle Surprise. I ordered mine, and is set for delivery on the 23rd. I just wanted to obtain the greatest variety possible, but my only concern would be quality of the breeds. Any opinions or suggestions?
Cackle has one of the best herritage breed programs of all the hatcheries, Oh and by the way, Welcome to the layers club

Last edited:
I'm literally sitting up with a sickly chick.... Umbilical bubble, looks like a hernia, is slightly open in a teeny tiny spot. And it is draining. Making it stick to metal bator bottom... Just hatched today, seems to like my finger pillow....

Back
Top Bottom