"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

We had "friends of a friend" stop by -- they are from Albuquerque, NM & have never been to Louisiana before - all part of our "ballooning" friends - my husband met them last time he was out at BalloonFiesta.

I so wish I had taped this -- they had never seen guineas before! -- of course it was raining when they got here & we were all standing out under the carport - they were so amazed at all the trees and greenery & blooming things & flat land - totally different from where they come from -- and the guineas of course spotted them & started raising cane. It was so funny! between watching the guineas watch them & their amazement at the guineas -- it was great!

Update from the Hen House.

Thank you for the advice on my last Chickens illness. Sadly, she passed away. She is buried next to her sister. The six chicks that I picked up at 1 day old now look nothing like they used to. Out of the six, I think that only one is a rooster. I am not sure about the jersey giant yet, but I think it is a hen. Man, did I get lucky. When they are all grown I will have 10 hens and 1 rooster. A nice little flock. at six weeks old it was time to kick the kids outside. I took the chicken tractor I had already built, and modified with a room for the chickens to roost at night. The pictures below are of my new coop I built and the chickens from 6-8 weeks. They are now 9 weeks old and healthy. The all white appenzeller spitzhauben is the rooster. It is wild how much larger the Jersey is because they all hatched on the same day.

Hey Sean sounds like it's going well for your birds. Congrat's on the male/female ratio. One question though......How'd you get the girls to wear the feathered hats
big_smile.png

from my understanding when you incubate your own eggs...most diseases cant live thru the incubation process...i just put my chicks on sand not to long ago...and they love it....and its way easier to deal with...just add a layer down and good to go...keeps their feet dry....

well you know how cold it is up here by me...well i figured i would share how i feel....
http://www.gardeners.com/how-to/rea...&utm_content=status&utm_campaign=shake-it-off
woot.gif
lau.gif

Hi. I put sand in the yard and PDZ and some pine shavings, but I just had a little of a pack of shavings. I think everything I did helped but it still stinks and I'm in a subdivision. So I'm wondering: campingshaws, has the pine shavings held up? I can buy lots more. Pam, has the sand held up? I can buy lots more of that, too, but it's harder to transport and spread than the pine shavings. So, I'm hoping pine shavings will hold up. Thanks.

Hi. I put sand in the yard and PDZ and some pine shavings, but I just had a little of a pack of shavings. I think everything I did helped but it still stinks and I'm in a subdivision. So I'm wondering: campingshaws, has the pine shavings held up? I can buy lots more. Pam, has the sand held up? I can buy lots more of that, too, but it's harder to transport and spread than the pine shavings. So, I'm hoping pine shavings will hold up. Thanks.

Yep! Still no smell. The chickens have spread them out and formed a few trenches, so I still need one more big bag too. I have sand (under the muck, under the shavings) and I like it too. But that layer wasn't deep enough either, so it's lower than the surrounding yard and holds water... Hence the muck. But, like you said, it's easier to get the pine shavings.

Yes sand has held up he put down a thick layer it was left over from a job. Pam

Back
Top Bottom