"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

+1 on the Barbezieux flightiness.
I'll be weighing and banding mine soon and am not looking forward to it. I think it will be best to do at night when I can take them off the roosts.

3 silkies hatched soo far. 1 black 2 blues. One is a little darker

Certainly not going to go 'Bloody Mary' and start beheading them all haha! Seeing as how I rent rather than own I won't be able to dig a trench and bury the mesh. I have to keep my coop plans fairly nonpermanent and moveable if needed. Is there any other way to deter digging animals other than digging a trench.

It all depends on where you are as to what predator issues you may have. I do not have the skirt buried around mine and have had no problems with digging predators. I do lock mine in the coop at night though.
My first chicks (well, they were supposed to be for my kid, but...) were just mixed breed, straight run from a neighbor. I still have them and they are some of my best. I have now added heritage and rare breeds. They are all different personalities and a joy to have. Some like to be held others want to follow me everywhere, but not be touched, others just want feed and left alone. I like the mixture.

Beware of chicken math!!!!
I started with 4, now have 34 that will remain here, 20 that are going to freezer camp and 55 eggs between incubators and broodies. Do I have a problem???
"Someone" told me to only count the little numbers and not add them all up, but I couldn't help myself :)

x2 on starting small and inexpensive. We still have two of our original flock, a feed store australorp and a mix. The australorp is my daughter's favorite. I started with 5, had 97 at one point last summer, and now I've got 18 in the camp coop and a "few" of my own. ;)

Hey y'all! Thibodaux area here! Glad to see this post!
1f600.png
We have 31 chickens and a pig. Hatching some chicks too!

Hey everyone. Here is an update on my babies. My BBC Ameraucanas at 10 days old. They are jumpy little things. LOL

I am going to put them in the big brooder as soon as all this rain and cool weather pass. It is on my back porch which is fully covered and has a lot more space. I made it out of an old wood toybox that my neighbor was throwing away. I had my husband cut a hole in top and we put hardware cloth on it. I think they will love having more room to run around. I have had a couple of the chicks peck at my finger in a fighting way when I stuck my hand in there and that was when they were three days old. Cracks me up! He was gonna take me out! LOL

Beware of chicken math!!!!
I started with 4, now have 34 that will remain here, 20 that are going to freezer camp and 55 eggs between incubators and broodies. Do I have a problem???

"Someone" told me to only count the little numbers and not add them all up, but I couldn't help myself :)

:plbb
:lau i actualy broke my own rule, but its okay cuz im down to a mere 36! 5 of those are roos planned for freezer camp, 19 are chicks in various stages of growth.

Hey y'all! Thibodaux area here! Glad to see this post!
1f600.png
We have 31 chickens and a pig. Hatching some chicks too!

:welcome :frow Glad to have you! My Grandpa lives in Thibodaux! Do you keep specific breeds or just laying hens or meat birds?! Whatcha hatching?! :D :yiipchick :love

Back
Top Bottom