"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Down here in St. Bernard Parish, we are surrounded by marshes. Like mosquitos, gnats hatch in water. This is gnat nightmare country.

An example: We hog hunted for years and during the fall and early winter the gnats were horrendous. We had to wear netted headgear, gloves and thick clothing they couldn't bite through. The thick swarms would totally engulf us. Sometimes we couldn't here the hogs approaching due to the noise of these tiny biting creatures. I remember a sow walking into my clearing and she looked like she had on very thick makeup around her eyes and snoot. Her butt hole looked like a black furry tennis ball was stuck to it! Please forgive my description?

I just shared this tip with another BYCer in SE Texas. It just might help. When I was a kid our cattle would sometimes be tormented by hordes of biting flies. My Dad and Grandfather would hang burlap sacks over a wire. The sacks were drenched with spent motor oil. The cattle would form a huge circle going round and round under those sacks non-stop, desperately looking for any relief to be had. Gnats don't have a long needle-like probiscus like a mosquito. Gnats have biting, tearing and ripping mouth parts. Their bite is very much more worse than their size might indicate!

Now, I don't expect anyone to resort to the near-toxic spent motor oil but, hanging rags over a string/wire with Deet, Vanilla, permethrin or, whatever else might provide enough relief to help the chickens. Maybe just the rags alone might brush them off enough to provide SOME respite from these creatures?

Down here in St. Bernard Parish, we are surrounded by marshes. Like mosquitos, gnats hatch in water. This is gnat nightmare country.

An example: We hog hunted for years and during the fall and early winter the gnats were horrendous. We had to wear netted headgear, gloves and thick clothing they couldn't bite through. The thick swarms would totally engulf us. Sometimes we couldn't here the hogs approaching due to the noise of these tiny biting creatures. I remember a sow walking into my clearing and she looked like she had on very thick makeup around her eyes and snoot. Her butt hole looked like a black furry tennis ball was stuck to it! Please forgive my description?

I just shared this tip with another BYCer in SE Texas. It just might help. When I was a kid our cattle would sometimes be tormented by hordes of biting flies. My Dad and Grandfather would hang burlap sacks over a wire. The sacks were drenched with spent motor oil. The cattle would form a huge circle going round and round under those sacks non-stop, desperately looking for any relief to be had. Gnats don't have a long needle-like probiscus like a mosquito. Gnats have biting, tearing and ripping mouth parts. Their bite is very much more worse than their size might indicate!

Now, I don't expect anyone to resort to the near-toxic spent motor oil but, hanging rags over a string/wire with Deet, Vanilla, permethrin or, whatever else might provide enough relief to help the chickens. Maybe just the rags alone might brush them off enough to provide SOME respite from these creatures?

Since I sprayed the yard and chickens with permethrin I haven't had anymore problems with the gnats, thank goodness. My black orpingtons were especially happy about that too. They were bothered the most by the gnats.

Now, question about my EE hen/roo chick. If it is a male, if I mate it with a brown egg layer, would I get EE's from hatching their eggs? Maybe green eggs? Guess my question is since the chicks parents both have the blue egg gene, then he should have it also and pass it to his off spring...

Down here in St. Bernard Parish, we are surrounded by marshes.  Like mosquitos, gnats hatch in water.  This is gnat nightmare country.

An example:  We hog hunted for years and during the fall and early winter the gnats were horrendous.  We had to wear netted headgear, gloves and thick clothing they couldn't bite through.  The thick swarms would totally engulf us.  Sometimes we couldn't here the hogs approaching due to the noise of these tiny biting creatures.  I remember a sow walking into my clearing and she looked like she had on very thick makeup around her eyes and snoot.  Her butt hole looked like a black furry tennis ball was stuck to it!  Please forgive my description?

I just shared this tip with another BYCer in SE Texas.  It just might help.  When I was a kid our cattle would sometimes be tormented by hordes of biting flies.  My Dad and Grandfather would hang burlap sacks over a wire.  The sacks were drenched with spent motor oil.  The cattle would form a huge circle going round and round under those sacks non-stop, desperately looking for any relief to be had.  Gnats don't have a long needle-like probiscus like a mosquito.  Gnats have biting, tearing and ripping mouth parts.  Their bite is very much more worse than their size might indicate!

Now, I don't expect anyone to resort to the near-toxic spent motor oil but, hanging rags over a string/wire with Deet, Vanilla, permethrin or, whatever else might provide enough relief to help the chickens.  Maybe just the rags alone might brush them off enough to provide SOME respite from these creatures? 

Since I sprayed the yard and chickens with permethrin I haven't had anymore problems with the gnats, thank goodness. My black orpingtons were especially happy about that too. They were bothered the most by the gnats.

Now, question about my EE hen/roo chick. If it is a male, if I mate it with a brown egg layer, would I get EE's from hatching their eggs? Maybe green eggs? Guess my question is since the chicks parents both have the blue egg gene, then he should have it also and pass it to his off spring...

I am not sure but someone here will chime in soon. I would think it would be an olive egg tho.

I wanted to know where, what brand and more info on that permethrin you use. Thanks

Ive been very quiet on here and very busy! Chicks are popping like popcorn and eggs are out the wazoo. We had a terrible problem with gnats the past few days and have had to spray permithrin and put fans on a few of the cages. The gnats were so bad that they were biting us as well and leaving huge welts. I found a post from the Agcenter saying its a nasty outbreak of turkey gnats that is killing many birds. The gnats don't handle hot weather well so they should only last a few more weeks. After we treated the property and birds, egg production rose back up from zero percent to full steam in the Marans pen. I've also got my first wyandottes hatching out in the next few days and I couldn't be happier.

We organized the room we incubate and hatch in, and it looks pretty spiffy now. We also finished the framing for the new half of the barn and just need to slap some runners and tin on it. We want to add 3 more stalls to it, but our main goal was getting the new half up and roofed so that there is more shade for the horses. 

I'll have to share photos of everything with y'all tomorrow!

Do you buy this at Tractor Supply? Also is it a concentrated liquid you mix with water? One more, it's ok to use on and around chickens and ducks without any problems? I get bit up myself sometimes. Thank you.

Last edited:
If your EE chick came from two birds with blue egg genes, it should definitely carry the same gene as well. Mating it with a brown egg laying bird should give you olive eggers. The only way this wouldn't be the case is if there was some mix up as to the genes your male birds carry. If your EE's father was carrying different egg color genes, it would affect your EE's.

La Poulet, yes I got it from Tractor Supply. I will take a photo of the bottle and post it for you. It is safe around poultry and many, many other barn animals/pets. It is diluted 1:200 for poultry, so one bottle will be more than enough for your birds. There are different concentrations for different animals, and the bottle I bought has all of this in an instruction packet.

Edit: I didn't get a photo, but it is Gordon's Permethrin10 for livestock. It is in a semi-translucent bottle with two separate caps, and has photos of horses and cows on the front

Last edited:
If your EE chick came from two birds with blue egg genes, it should definitely carry the same gene as well. Mating it with a brown egg laying bird should give you olive eggers. The only way this wouldn't be the case is if there was some mix up as to the genes your male birds carry. If your EE's father was carrying different egg color genes, it would affect your EE's. 

La Poulet, yes I got it from Tractor Supply. I will take a photo of the bottle and post it for you. It is safe around poultry and many, many other barn animals/pets. It is diluted 1:200 for poultry, so one bottle will be more than enough for your birds. There are different concentrations for different animals, and the bottle I bought has all of this in an instruction packet.

Edit: I didn't get a photo, but it is Gordon's Permethrin10 for livestock. It is in a semi-translucent bottle with two separate caps, and has photos of horses and cows on the front 

Thank you so much. When you mix it to spray the yard, do you still use the 1:200 mix?

Last edited:
Google gordon permethrin 10 instructions. There is a pdf that instructs you on use for surface spray, space spray, and spraying different species of animals

If you breed a blue gene Rooster to a brown egg layer you will get some shade of green most likely olive eggers.
Pam

Back
Top Bottom