"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I have been busy with the garden, it is growing like crazy, I have sold down to about half my birds, I have isolated my RIR and will start hatching those for laying age hen market, also the same for my White Leghorns and Dominiques, i have also gotten into Quails, brown Cortnix, we have ducks and Guenias now also

When I browse through the website here I notice folks who are penciling the growth of the air cells in their eggs.  Some of them have 6-7 or even more lines on the eggs.  Are you guys candling this often?  5 lines would indicate candling every 4 days.  

How many of y'all mark the air cells or weigh the eggs to monitor weight loss? 

I candel and Mark when I put them in and twice once I start my hatch. I find the more I ignore them the better my hatch. Pam

Last edited:
I have been busy with the garden, it is growing like crazy, I have sold down to about half my birds, I have isolated my RIR and will start hatching those for laying age hen market, also the same for my White Leghorns and Dominiques, i have also gotten into Quails, brown Cortnix, we have ducks and Guenias now also

Good to hear from you. Do you still have the cream legbars? I'd love to see that great garden you have. Pam

When I was young my dad built a big fine cypress incubator. He built our own turner with wooden dowels (wooden rods) connected by a narrow strip of inner tube rubber snaked over and under each dowel. It sorta looked like a foosball table with a lot more dowels. We'd turn one dowel and they would all turn. Of course, the eggs laid on their side. I'd pay waaay more than I can afford to have our bigole incubator today!

Not only does the method sound archaic but, most of the folks here are probably too young to remember when all tires had inner tubes!

We provided the freezer chickens and eggs for 8 families and 41 grandchildren. My Mom sold chicks and my dad incubated other people's eggs. We hatched thousands of quail eggs, at least several hundred chicken eggs each season and my brother always put some of his duck eggs in.

So, this whole automatic turner thing was sorta new to me. When I began planning, I discovered these turners with eggs standing on end! ON END!!! It really threw me. I had to watch videos to figure out how they worked. And when I decided to buy the one for the Hideous-Bator, I bought the Incu-Turn by Incubator Warehouse.

It also turns the eggs laying on the sides. The eggs sit inside slots in the turner's mat. This mat is only about 1/32-inch thick. You wouldn't think that a device thin like this would push eggs along. It seems to be working just fine though.

You know how old guys are? We get kinda stuck in our ways. Anyone use one of these or, a turner that rolls the eggs sidewards? Or, like they say in Chalmette "sodways". How's it working for you?

I think my next one will be of one those Tilt-a-World types.

: Edited because I had to correct one of the many stupid mistakes I made!

Last edited:

Only y'all will understand my eggcitmenr!!! My first EVER egg!!
2764.png

Back
Top Bottom