"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Update on the Barbezieux dinner. These birds have the darkest meat I've seen on a chicken before. Compared to RiR, BR, and Bielefelder it is the darkest. Has a very strong flavor to it. I can see how some may not like it if they don't like dark meat cuts. I seasoned the carcass well with "Slap-Ya-Mama", roasted at 325 uncovered for three hrs. with the RiR for comparison. The Barb was overcooked and dry compared to the RiR. They are very lean, had little fat when butchering. These birds were 10 months old at butchering and very tough and chewy. I let them rest two days on ice before cooking instead of the normal three so that may have made a little difference in the texture/toughness of the meat, but I think they need to be harvested at a younger age. Next time I cook one I'll roast covered for the majority of the cooking time.

Update on the Barbezieux dinner. These birds have the darkest meat I've seen on a chicken before. Compared to RiR, BR, and Bielefelder it is the darkest. Has a very strong flavor to it. I can see how some may not like it if they don't like dark meat cuts. I seasoned the carcass well with "Slap-Ya-Mama", roasted at 325 uncovered for three hrs. with the RiR for comparison. The Barb was overcooked and dry compared to the RiR. They are very lean, had little fat when butchering. These birds were 10 months old at butchering and very tough and chewy. I let them rest two days on ice before cooking instead of the normal three so that may have made a little difference in the texture/toughness of the meat, but I think they need to be harvested at a younger age. Next time I cook one I'll roast covered for the majority of the cooking time.

I wonder if you cooked it too long? I think I'll smoke mine to see if they will be tender. I have one Svart hone and one Ayam Crimini to cull their meat is black should be very interesting.
Have you ever Roasted in a roasting Bag? I wonder if it would keep the moisture in. Just a suggestion. I'll let you know how things turn out.

I want to take a min. and thank any service Men ,Women, and their families for their sacrifices . I thank you for my freedom. Pam

Yea it was a bit over-cooked. I've never used a roasting bag. Next time I'll roast in a magnalite roaster with the lid on and take it off the last 30 mins. to crisp up the skin.

Wow!!! 7 days without a post, that must be a record!
I've had my hands full with family and house remodel so I haven't been here much myself. Hope everyone is well and staying as dry as possible.
As for chicken stuff...I've got 55 "babies/tweens/teens" from a few weeks to a few mths old and 11 eggs due to hatch Thursday. Spent most of the day cleaning coops and moving varies birds around. It's the most time I've had with them in a few weeks. Now I just have to decide who gets to stay and who has to go, not enough room in the inn!!!

Last edited:

Double yolker from Ember, an australorp/sussex mix. She gives about one of those a week. And a svart hona egg from Lagertha. My hona pair has moved themselves into the layer coop, away from the rowdy juvies. :lol: I need to set up the small coop for them, but this rain, y'all. :barnie

Double yolker from Ember, an australorp/sussex mix. She gives about one of those a week. And a svart hona egg from Lagertha. My hona pair has moved themselves into the layer coop, away from the rowdy juvies. :lol: I need to set up the small coop for them, but this rain, y'all. :barnie
tell me about it.my coop is flooded

Need to down size my flock for new birds.I'm selling Turken chickens silkies chickens serama chickens and frizzle chickens. pm me for price and locating

Wow!!! 7 days without a post, that must be a record!
I've had my hands full with family and house remodel so I haven't been here much myself. Hope everyone is well and staying as dry as possible.
As for chicken stuff...I've got 55 "babies/tweens/teens" from a few weeks to a few mths old and 11 eggs due to hatch Thursday. Spent most of the day cleaning coops and moving varies birds around. It's the most time I've had with them in a few weeks. Now I just have to decide who gets to stay and who has to go, not enough room in the inn!!!

I think it was a record! I'm selling some too. Good to hear from you. Pam

Hello all! :) Hope all is well now that we have dried out a bit! I have a question for you chicken experts.. I currently have a pullet that has been acting lethargic for about 3-4 days. She will pick at her food and drink water but just not being a "chicken". I separated her from the flock, she was confusing me because she'd be weak and laying down like she was exhausted and then she'd jump up and walk around like nothing was wrong for about 15-20 minutes or so then back to laying around.. no other symptoms. Normal looking stool, no snotty nose or congestion.. I'm dumbfounded. So I'm thinking impacted crop or sour crop, her crop is not abnormally large no sour smell coming from her mouth. Starting today I'm treating it like sour/impacted crop. Can someone give me any advice on what I'm dealing with..? I'm at a loss. Thank y'all!

Hello all! :) Hope all is well now that we have dried out a bit! I have a question for you chicken experts.. I currently have a pullet that has been acting lethargic for about 3-4 days. She will pick at her food and drink water but just not being a "chicken". I separated her from the flock, she was confusing me because she'd be weak and laying down like she was exhausted and then she'd jump up and walk around like nothing was wrong for about 15-20 minutes or so then back to laying around.. no other symptoms. Normal looking stool, no snotty nose or congestion.. I'm dumbfounded. So I'm thinking impacted crop or sour crop, her crop is not abnormally large no sour smell coming from her mouth. Starting today I'm treating it like sour/impacted crop. Can someone give me any advice on what I'm dealing with..? I'm at a loss. Thank y'all!

Chickens are masters at hiding illness most die by the time you realize something is wrong. If it's sour croup her croup would stay full. If in the morning it isn't the same size you can rule out sour croup. Any other systems other than lathargic? Pam

Back
Top Bottom