"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I lost a pullet today to heat, I think.

So sorry for your loss. I started hosing down a couple of spots they lay in trying to keep mine cool. Also freezing canned corn in ice trays. Peas work too. When I see cucumber on sale, I get enough for a week or two and keep them cold. Good luck to you.

I lost my Wyandotte cockbird this morning. I believe a dog got him. We had all the gates to the backyard open while doing yard work and they were free ranging. I believe he tried to fight the dog back because his hens were untouched. I'm heartbroken over it. The amount of time and effort it takes to raise this breed to their late maturity makes it so hard to lose one. Not to mention he was just a fantastic bird both disposition and appearance wise. I was hoping to keep breeding him for another 5 years.

I have two very young sons of his growing out, but they won't be breeding ready until late fall. And they will still be growing by this time next year. The hens quit laying because of the heat so I doubt I will get any last eggs from him. I have 4 in the incubator and I have no doubt they will hatch without any issues. I never got an infertile egg when he was in the pen, and I've never had a fertile egg not hatch with this breed. With the 4 that hatch I'll have 11 birds total from him. Definitely not the number I was imagining, but I suppose it is better than nothing. The hens are completely lost without him too. It will take some time for us all to adjust for sure

I lost my Wyandotte cockbird this morning. I believe a dog got him. We had all the gates to the backyard open while doing yard work and they were free ranging. I believe he tried to fight the dog back because his hens were untouched. I'm heartbroken over it. The amount of time and effort it takes to raise this breed to their late maturity makes it so hard to lose one. Not to mention he was just a fantastic bird both disposition and appearance wise. I was hoping to keep breeding him for another 5 years.

I have two very young sons of his growing out, but they won't be breeding ready until late fall. And they will still be growing by this time next year. The hens quit laying because of the heat so I doubt I will get any last eggs from him. I have 4 in the incubator and I have no doubt they will hatch without any issues. I never got an infertile egg when he was in the pen, and I've never had a fertile egg not hatch with this breed. With the 4 that hatch I'll have 11 birds total from him. Definitely not the number I was imagining, but I suppose it is better than nothing. The hens are completely lost without him too. It will take some time for us all to adjust for sure

That's so sad. So sorry for your loss. 11 of his offspring is great but I know how you feel after investing so much time and energy raising them up and losing them so quickly. We grow to love and appreciate their personality and beauty and joy they bring to our lives.

Looks like everyone must be super busy!
I have been too but hope things will start to get back to normal soon. As hot as its been my chickens have been going thru some water!! I have started freezing water in plastic bottles and placing them in the waterers.

Looks like everyone must be super busy!
I have been too but hope things will start to get back to normal soon. As hot as its been my chickens have been going thru some water!! I have started freezing water in plastic bottles and placing them in the waterers.
I have been hiding down the shady spots and changing out their water alot too. The it's hit out there.!
1f602.png

I posted on the emergency board but maybe y'all will know. Y'all all seem so smart! So my girls are about 27 weeks old. Only one is having this issue. I started noticing that she was missing feathers and then yesterday I saw that she now has a huge bare spot! The other two are fine. I started spraying blue kote this week to hopefully keep the others from pecking her and started feeding them eggs this weekend for the extra protein. She is also the only one that isn't laying yet. What do y'all think??

I posted on the emergency board but maybe y'all will know. Y'all all seem so smart! So my girls are about 27 weeks old. Only one is having this issue. I started noticing that she was missing feathers and then yesterday I saw that she now has a huge bare spot! The other two are fine. I started spraying blue kote this week to hopefully keep the others from pecking her and started feeding them eggs this weekend for the extra protein. She is also the only one that isn't laying yet. What do y'all think??
My guess is she is either being bred by a rooster or she could be being picked on by the other hens. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't have a rooster, just the 3 hens. I have noticed her being pecked at once or twice. I have also noticed her pecking at it a bit, that is when I started using the blue kote and giving them some scrambled eggs for the extra protein. I just didn't know if it was something serious that I am just missing being a new chicken owner and all.

Back
Top Bottom