"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I don't have a rooster, just the 3 hens.  I have noticed her being pecked at once or twice.  I have also noticed her pecking at it a bit, that is when I started using the blue kote and giving them some scrambled eggs for the extra protein.  I just didn't know if it was something serious that I am just missing being a new chicken owner and all.
it could be mites or lice. I just treated mine last week. Check to see if you see anything crawling on her.

I checked to see if I could see anything on her and I didn't. I did go out and spray down their coop yesterday though just in case. I'll have to watch and see over the next few days I guess.

I checked to see if I could see anything on her and I didn't.  I did go out and spray down their coop yesterday though just in case.  I'll have to watch and see over the next few days I guess.

They could be establishing their pecking order. If she is a diff color, they notice that too. Some hens are just mean. Also, do they have plenty of coop space because they will sometimes do that out of boredom and overcrowding.

I checked to see if I could see anything on her and I didn't.  I did go out and spray down their coop yesterday though just in case.  I'll have to watch and see over the next few days I guess.

Could be mites, lice, etc. they are hard to see sometime. Nighttime with a flashlight is your best opportunity. If it's picking/pecking you can put a saddle on her to limit access to that area. Also, with this heat make sure there is enough ventilation in the coop and shade in the run. I have a fan in my chicken house right now to help with the heat.

Could be mites, lice, etc. they are hard to see sometime. Nighttime with a flashlight is your best opportunity. If it's picking/pecking you can put a saddle on her to limit access to that area. Also, with this heat make sure there is enough ventilation in the coop and shade in the run. I have a fan in my chicken house right now to help with the heat.

I hose my shady areas down to help keep them cool. Observe them as much as possible and you will figure it out.

Do you have a rooster that has been mating with her? I have two hens who are missing feathers on their backs and it is from when the rooster mates them he is gripping their back feathers to hold on. They are his favorite hens so I have had to use saddles on them. No scratches or bleeding, just missing feathers. Guess it could also be from pecking from other hens but if you have a rooster, I would suspect that first.
smile.png

Thanks!  I will continue to watch them...They are all pretty normal except for this bald spot. 
the only other thing I would add is pick her up for a good check look for lice or fly strike. Flies will lay eggs they hatch inside say where the opening for a feather is. Now fly strike wouldn't cause this but they will take advantage of the opportunity . I've only had mine this bad when the roosters are too aggressive . I had mice but they never did that to my hens. When you examine her gently squeeze a opening to see if anything comes out. Blue Côte is a great way to go. If you need to clean the area use beatidine diluted. Peroxide is not good to use one animals. Let us know what it turns out to be. Pam

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I know it's not a rooster because I only have the 3 hens. She is also the only one that isn't laying yet, the other 2 are. I will keep y'all up dated.

Back
Top Bottom