"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hi, I'm new to having an account with Backyard chickens but I am pretty active in my local fb chicken groups. I am very believing in this theory:
There is ALWAYS More To Learn plus I enjoy reading other people's stories.
I live outside of West Monroe, La and I have only a few chickens presently, guinea, peafowl and hopefully am getting some geese soon.
Right now I have only these 4 frizzled chickens but THERE WILL BE MORE, I LOVE FRIZZLED FEATHERS

Attachments

• Diamond (1).jpg
    Diamond (1).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Lazer (1).jpg
    Lazer (1).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 5
  • Tizzle (1).jpg
    Tizzle (1).jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Bit O'Honey (4).jpg
    Bit O'Honey (4).jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 6
IMG_8234.JPG
Chicken mom for 15 months, since I retired. 1 black australorp, 1 speckled Sussex, 1 Easter egger, 1 Barnevelder and 1 olive egger roo. That I was assured was a pullet. Of course the Barnevelder was suppose to be a welsummer. Lol . I live close to Bush, any tips y'all have to help us newbies. I bought a blue light / dyna trap, but my australorp has a small black dot on her comb I am presuming is fowl pox. Is that right?

View attachment 1083243 Chicken mom for 15 months, since I retired. 1 black australorp, 1 speckled Sussex, 1 Easter egger, 1 Barnevelder and 1 olive egger roo. That I was assured was a pullet. Of course the Barnevelder was suppose to be a welsummer. Lol . I live close to Bush, any tips y'all have to help us newbies. I bought a blue light / dyna trap, but my australorp has a small black dot on her comb I am presuming is fowl pox. Is that right?

Not sure if it's fowl pox the pic is a little blurry. If you can, I would isolate her from the rest of the birds for a while to see if she starts showing any other symptoms like being lethargic, not eating or drinking much. Better to be safe than sorry because it can spread in a hurry.

Not sure if it's fowl pox the pic is a little blurry. If you can, I would isolate her from the rest of the birds for a while to see if she starts showing any other symptoms like being lethargic, not eating or drinking much. Better to be safe than sorry because it can spread in a hurry.

agree with this. Wether it is fowl pox or not, the best move is always to isolate and treat. Don't let her spread anything to the rest of your flock. Welcome to BYC! You have a beautiful flock!

Lots of staining and stapling hardware cloth on the coop. I believe I'll have some growouts on the ground by this weekend. We will be roofing the runs hopefully this weekend as well

We have birds on the ground! The food and water set up is temporary, but I'm so glad they are out of the brooder. It will be much less stressful to work on now.
IMG_8721.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8721.JPG
    IMG_8721.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 3
That's looking awesome! How many chicks do you have? All pullets or do you have cockerels also?
There are two wyandotte cockerels and maybe six or seven pullets. I didn't count all the females. In the brooder up top I have three Japanese bantam pullets I'm growing out. I had ten Japanese cockerels as well but rehomed them. I thought I hatched really cockerel heavy this year but the wyandottes proved otherwise. Thankfully so.

I should have the roof and at least their run done before they start getting cramped. Then finishing the other side should go quickly and I can move my breeding flock over.

Back
Top Bottom