"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

And maybe EE are my best bet. I knew mine had performed well, just thought maybe something else was better. I've also had light brahma, leghorn, barred rock, salmon faverolles, Marans, pure ameraucana, & some bantams...bantam Cochins, silkies, & d'uccle. Nothing I've owned has outperformed my EE as an all year layer couoles with a good temperament. I've only had one of each of these other large fowl breeds though, so I wasn't sure if I'd gotten exceptions to the rule or not.

I do plan to keep a little Cochin bantam within my new flock jic I decide to hatch my own chicks. And TSC has to get them from somewhere. I believe mine here uses privett bc they told me the chicks came from a hatchery from New Mexico so yours may do the same.

The ticket when I got mine said Hoover. That was at TSC in Moss Bluff.

My fav breeds have been speckled sussex and svart hona. I try to keep buff Orpingtons and australorps around for the kids. Silkies don’t do well here for some reason. And I don’t love the polish either. I had a light brahma but she was the lone survivor of a raccoon attack and was so wild and crazy after that. I traded her straight across for an equally wild Pygmy doeling. :barnie I had heritage RIR that were nice.

I get most of my chicks from Cluckin Chicken in DeRidder. She has fair prices and good birds.

My fav breeds have been speckled sussex and svart hona. I try to keep buff Orpingtons and australorps around for the kids. Silkies don’t do well here for some reason. And I don’t love the polish either. I had a light brahma but she was the lone survivor of a raccoon attack and was so wild and crazy after that. I traded her straight across for an equally wild Pygmy doeling. :barnie I had heritage RIR that were nice.

I get most of my chicks from Cluckin Chicken in DeRidder. She has fair prices and good birds.

I'll have to check out this cluckin chicken place. I've considered sussex. Wouldn't be opposed.

I'll have to check out this cluckin chicken place. I've considered sussex. Wouldn't be opposed.

My SS pullets from Cackle are laying extra small eggs. I’m hoping they will make it to size medium once they settle in.
You can’t go wrong with a white Leghorn if you want egg production. I’ll always keep some of them in stock.
BUT, if I had to have just one breed, EEs would be the most fun and mine have always produced well. ‘Fun’ is important if you have kids that want to name all the chickens and collect colorful eggs.

I’ve got to stop reading this forum. I about had my mind made up to increase my BCM flock, get some true Ameraucanas, then create some olive eggers. Now I’m thinking, just get a bunch of EEs and be happy with what I get.
:idunno

Haha! EEs are number one :woot.... although the olive Eggers would be nice. I do like my Cuckoo Marans... she is a nice, very large girl! And my SS has just started to lay a few weeks ago and her eggs are small too... hoping they get bigger :fl
Here are my EEs... Kelly is a year and a half... and the flowers are three and a half months...
F37B7BE8-29CD-4FB3-9C17-09F4F7A05EDB.jpeg
D39379FA-83EA-4760-9C5A-2B15490E3565.jpeg
D682ED90-9486-40BF-90C9-9860C584DC22.jpeg
CF1EB00B-D305-441E-9CD9-B18D75D49786.jpeg

My SS pullets from Cackle are laying extra small eggs. I’m hoping they will make it to size medium once they settle in.
You can’t go wrong with a white Leghorn if you want egg production. I’ll always keep some of them in stock.
BUT, if I had to have just one breed, EEs would be the most fun and mine have always produced well. ‘Fun’ is important if you have kids that want to name all the chickens and collect colorful eggs.

I’ve got to stop reading this forum. I about had my mind made up to increase my BCM flock, get some true Ameraucanas, then create some olive eggers. Now I’m thinking, just get a bunch of EEs and be happy with what I get.
:idunno

But how did your leghorns do with confinement? That's the kicker, I'm needing good laying combined with a bird that doesn't mind the run & coop. I love leghorns, but was concerned about this. I had a leghorn once but she laid tiny eggs and died randomly last year before she made a year old.

Back
Top Bottom