Love bird laying insane amount of eggs?

Okay, first off, WAY too many eggs for a single female. I would agree with NatJ that you have two hens.

I bred lovebirds for several years. They do not 'switch places' when mating, it's always the male on top, and the male does not sit the eggs, but he does bring food to the hen who is almost constantly on the eggs.

The black inside is most probably rotten eggs. After three months sitting on them, I'm surprised they didn't explode!

For the both their health, remove the eggs and take away the nesting box. And make sure they have a cuttlebone to replace all that calcium.

Hope that helps!

Okay, first off, WAY too many eggs for a single female. I would agree with NatJ that you have two hens.

I bred lovebirds for several years. They do not 'switch places' when mating, it's always the male on top, and the male does not sit the eggs, but he does bring food to the hen who is almost constantly on the eggs.

The black inside is most probably rotten eggs. After three months sitting on them, I'm surprised they didn't explode!

For the both their health, remove the eggs and take away the nesting box. And make sure they have a cuttlebone to replace all that calcium.

Hope that helps!
But why are they breeding?

The boy doesn't really sit on the eggs but does go inside the nesting box to with the female and does bring food the times that I observe love birds.

According to my aunt the boy and the girl switch spots while breeding? I've seen it but I can't be sure which is the girl and which is the boy.
In that case, considering how many eggs have been laid, I think there are probably two females.

Two females would lay about twice as many eggs as one female, and the eggs would all be infertile so they would never develop or hatch. That fits pretty well with what you have described.

Must have been a glitch. Don't know why that happened.
Yes, it is odd what computers can do sometimes. One of the moderators combined the threads, so it's all fixed now.

In that case, considering how many eggs have been laid, I think there are probably two females.

Two females would lay about twice as many eggs as one female, and the eggs would all be infertile so they would never develop or hatch. That fits pretty well with what you have described.

Yes, it is odd what computers can do sometimes. One of the moderators combined the threads, so it's all fixed now.
I can send a video of them breeding. It's definitly not 2 girls. Though It'll take my aunt a little bit of spying to get the videos.

But why are they breeding?
I can send a video of them breeding. It's definitly not 2 girls. Though It'll take my aunt a little bit of spying to get the videos.
It is most likely two females. Birds do that sometimes.

I have seen times when two female chickens were mating. It looked exactly like when a rooster mates with a hen-- except that I knew they were both female, because both of them laid eggs. I have seen that on multiple occasions, with various different pairs of hens.

I've read of such things in other kinds of birds as well.

Edit to add: a quick google search gives several youtube videos with titles like "two female lovebirds mating." So it definitely can happen with lovebirds.

Back
Top Bottom