Low down on vaccinations

Chicken_Mamma1979

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
I'm new and have 4 chicks, but have heard of things like Gumboro, Newcastle disease, some other diseases and some different vaccines that can be admintered throughout their growth into adulthood. But, do I need to vaccinate for all of this? What are the most logical vaccines for a small backyard flock that lives next door to a semi larger flock where they might not ever clean their coop, but my chickies wouldn't be over by them or that side of the yard.

I personally vaccinate at hatch for Mareks Disease. It is not 100% but is less lethal if they are in the 5 percent who do get it after being vaccinated. It also keeps them from becoming paralyzed. Mareks is litterly everywhere and is also airborne. It is basically like a contagious cancer which causes the body to be riddled with tumors. As they grow they press on nerves and paralyze the bird. It is highly contagious and is a heart breaking disease. It's very inexpensive to get. Ten to 15 cents per bird and more birds bigger discounts usually. It takes a couple weeks for the immunity to become strong. I'm a worry wart and it gives me a little piece of mind. Hope this helps. Best wishes

Back
Top Bottom