Luck Run Out

LaketownChick

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
West Michigan
I’ve had such good luck since starting our chicken journey we have been really lucky. We purchased 9 chicks, then added 4 more a few weeks later with no issues. All of our original 13 are pullets, no roosters. Yay! I was starting to think this chicken thing is pretty easy going. Got a shed for free and converted it into a coop, made a run and got it fully enclosed. Then I got a bit ambitious and purchased three Cochin Bantam chicks and a couple Marans. Early on one of the Maran’s died due to birth defects. I would keep the remainder in the greenhouse at night and carry them by hand to a temporary run during the day to start their integration into the main flock. It had been going wonderfully until we got hit by some unseasonably warm weather. I had made a board to fit the opening of the greenhouse leaving a couple foot opening for ventilation. It was over four feet tall so I assumed it would keep the predators out. I was wrong. Between 5 PM and 9 AM this morning something killed all four of the chicks I was integrating. The weirdest thing is that there were no signs of a struggle, the board was in place, the pen was seemingly untouched and until I was cleaning the wood shavings out I saw one drop of blood. There were so many places for the chicks to hide. I’m so bummed they all died. I feel so foolish for leaving that board up at night. I should’ve shut the door. :hit

So sorry! Many of us learn the hard way how vulnerable chickens are, especially at night, and do better next time.
Cochin bantams are adorable!
Over the years, my coop and run have become as close to a fortress as I could manage; it's a constant battle. last year rats got in!
Please move forward and enjoy your chickens.
Mary

I’ve had such good luck since starting our chicken journey we have been really lucky. We purchased 9 chicks, then added 4 more a few weeks later with no issues. All of our original 13 are pullets, no roosters. Yay! I was starting to think this chicken thing is pretty easy going. Got a shed for free and converted it into a coop, made a run and got it fully enclosed. Then I got a bit ambitious and purchased three Cochin Bantam chicks and a couple Marans. Early on one of the Maran’s died due to birth defects. I would keep the remainder in the greenhouse at night and carry them by hand to a temporary run during the day to start their integration into the main flock. It had been going wonderfully until we got hit by some unseasonably warm weather. I had made a board to fit the opening of the greenhouse leaving a couple foot opening for ventilation. It was over four feet tall so I assumed it would keep the predators out. I was wrong. Between 5 PM and 9 AM this morning something killed all four of the chicks I was integrating. The weirdest thing is that there were no signs of a struggle, the board was in place, the pen was seemingly untouched and until I was cleaning the wood shavings out I saw one drop of blood. There were so many places for the chicks to hide. I’m so bummed they all died. I feel so foolish for leaving that board up at night. I should’ve shut the door. :hit
That is tough. These things happen to us all in one way or another, Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom