Lucky Pickens Bantam Cochins

We hatched out a second batch of eggs from Roslyn. That hatch went great. My students love them and many have gone to new homes. Getting more eggs in a couple of weeks.
smile.png

I got two eggs each Calico/Mille, Blue/Buff Columbian, Blue/Black Mottled, Blue Calico Mottled, three Black/Splash/Blue, and one Lemon Blue. I didn't want any frizzles or the other colors (I already have those in my flock and just want new ones) or else I'm sure my order would have been more mixed. I will try to remember to post chick photos and let you know how how many hatch. I don't think I'm going to check the eggs at all and just see how things go.

The blue calico are so much fun because you have no idea what the chicks are going to look like! My little black cockerel from the BCMC has the best foot feathering and overall type so far... can't wait to see what he'll look like as he matures. I did the same thing and requested only certain colors, but I think this summer I'm going to ask for a mixed lot. Minus the frizzles... I'm not a fan either.

We have some beautiful youngsters from her also! I keep planning to take photos but then..... I'll try to get some taken tomorrow!

Here are a few photos of the youngsters with their black silkie mama. There are a few seramas and silkies in the mix, but 11 of them are from luckypickens eggs.

I think I got:
2 splash or lemon-splash (pullets)
2 black or black/lav split (1 pullet, 1 cockerel)
1 black mottled
1 buff-columbian? (pullet)
1 mille-fleur (cockerel)
1 lav (cockerel)
1 silver laced (pullet)
1 project columbian/silver laced (cockerel)
1 red (pullet)

How sweet! You got a great mix of colors. I just set another dozen last night. Wish I had some broodies to incubate the eggs for me... I'm hoping some of the 6 girls I hatched out last time will be willing later in the year :)

Here is a photo of my LP hatch! I was hoping for more since this was my first time using broodies to hatch. Out of twelve six hatched, but two were dead when I found them - not sure from natural causes or the hen. The other eggs had not started developing. I think next time I will order two dozen eggs, and buy myself a Hovabator Genesis and turner... Anyone want to help guess colors? Since they hatched from under the hens, I don't know who is who, but they could be from:

Blue/Buff Columbian Pen
Blue/Black/Splash Pen
Blue Calico/Mottled Pen

Well Sarah that one in the middle looks like a black & white mottled to me. And front left looks like splash? I'd guess the golden one is buff columbian. No idea what that guy in back is! Blue? If any of them are from the blue calico pen there's no telling what color they'll be. I posted pics of one of my pullets from that pen on the calico cochin thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/571812/calico-cochin-thread/130#post_8788847). Sorry about the two you lost... I almost can't handle that. Bawl my eyes out every time. I've been thinking about getting the 1588 too so I can set larger batches of eggs... USPS doesn't give me very good numbers to work with by the time my eggs finally get to me.

Mandy your roos are gorgeous! I keep telling Roslyn I'm probably going to be a life-long customer... can't get enough of her bantam cochins.

I hope it is ok to join in. I have ordered eggs from others twice now and have had bad luck. I am so thrilled to hear good stories about ordering eggs and having them hatch. I use broodie hens and they can hatch out ones from my flock very well usualy they only lose like 2-3 in the whole nest. but when I order eggs they never do well. I have given up ordering eggs and will just stick with ones from my flock I guess. thank you for sharing all the good news it is so great to see good luck with hatching eggs...:) the pictures are so so cute...

Back
Top Bottom