Lukes getting meat chickens

I have never raised meat chickens but from what I understand yes they will get too large to support their bodies. They are bred to gain as much weight as fast as they can and their muscles won't be able to keep up. They will develop other problems as well if kept too long.

I raise a batch of Cornish X every year and they grow to about 8-10 lbs in about 10 weeks or so. When I raise them I have them on feed from about 7am until 7pm about 12 hours. If you ration there feed and not let them eat 24/7 after they are 2 weeks old or so they should be fine. Make sure they have PLENTY of water every day. Those birds can put it away. Every once and a while I have a really large bird. Last year I had 1 Cornish X Roo weight 12 lbs in 10 weeks.

Nate

Mine get to about 6 lbs and then we slaughter, so it doesn't matter to me if they can walk very well. We don't even take the food away at night. Just let them gorge and butcher at 5-7 weeks. They are pretty lazy, so they won't go far even if you keep them on a diet. We usually do about 50 in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom