Ma has shingles...

Emzyyy

Runs with Deer
11 Years
Jul 14, 2008
Derby Kansas
All up her neck and on her scalp. I have never had chicken pox in my life so I guess I can get it from her...My brother got a shot and I didn't because of the new law but I got grandfathered in so I didn't have to get it. Hope I don't get it.
hmm.png

I'm so sorry your ma is going thru this. Shingles are not easy to deal with. I'm sending her get well wishes.
smile.png

Sorry to hear about your Ma.
hugs.gif
It is a painful thing to have. I wish her the best and hope she can get comfortable. However, my understanding is that you only get shingles if you have had the chicken pox. So, that means you should be clear. But still treat it as contagious to you.

Emzyyy, you should also search the information on it to educate yourself more about it. I have a lady friend that got it about 8 years ago on her back and to this day it is still painfull and there is not much that can help it except strong pain relief pills. Which makes her sleepy all the time.

Henry'schickens :

Emzyyy, you should also search the information on it to educate yourself more about it. I have a lady friend that got it about 8 years ago on her back and to this day it is still painfull and there is not much that can help it except strong pain relief pills. Which makes her sleepy all the time.

She already went to the doctor and got some pills for it, so it should clear up. I think I can get chicken pox from her though because its the same virus but I'm not sure.​

I had the shingles when I was 37 years old and it was extremely painful! Under alot of stress, it will pop up and boy, anything going on right now, it would just HURT! Mine was on the corner of right eye and going outward in a triangle. I do not take any pain meds, just plain ol aspirin would help. Some days, I would take a cool rag over the area and it would relieve some.

So sorry about your mom and do make her comfortable and if she is under alot of stress, help her out if you can. My doc said my DD can get the chicken pox but she already had her vaccinations. I hope she does not get it as bad as I did.

Quote:
She already went to the doctor and got some pills for it, so it should clear up. I think I can get chicken pox from her though because its the same virus but I'm not sure.

I do believe it is one of those things that lay dormant in your body and certain things trigger it to make it active.

Has your mother had stress lately?... sometimes that can trigger it. Be patient and kind. Shingles are VERY painful and can do damage to nerves.

And YES, you can get (chicken pox) from her if you weren't vaccinated.

I guess you could go to an urgent care center and see if they have the vaccine but it may already be too late.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Shingles is awful and yes, stress depressing your immune system is a trigger. Your poor mom needs your love right now! The neurological symptoms are pretty bad, at least in my experience (I had them in the spring - but they were just the prelude to a terrible bout with Lyme disease, a whole 'nother story!). They gave me antivirals, prenisone and painkillers, they worked, eventually. Give her a hug for me.

One point - you cannot get shingles from her - you can get the chicken pox, though. Shingles are not contagious as shingles, but as chicken pox.

Ive been dealing with stress related shingles since a month after my husbands cancer diagnosis.It is not fun but I got a lot of pain relief using essential oils. I took acyclovir for 4 months before the outbreaks stopped. I wish your mom the best

Back
Top Bottom