Ma has shingles...

Thankyou everyone. She stresses about everything. Right now its the money she spent on the shingles medicine.
roll.png
Even though she NEEDS it.

The Dr. should consider some kind of anti-anxiety medication as well........

Good luck dodging this bullet, you do not want pox at your age!

Emzyyy if you have not ever had chicken pox then your family should really consider getting the vaccination for you. Chicken pox is miserable for kids, but not usually dangerous. That changes as you get older. A lot of people who get chicken pox as adults end up hospitalized and have more severe complications. Chicken pox can be very dangerous for adults. Your mother was contagious before she ever started showing signs/symptoms of the shingles, so chances are pretty good you may contract them, but if you don't then you may want to look into that vaccine.

Good luck and keep well.

The chicken pox vaccine doesn't offer as good immunity as a good case of the chicken pox - for children, I far prefer nature to vaccination. For older adults it can be deadly, the vaccination is the way to go.

As for antivirals, I've got good insurance, and the co-pay for the prescription was $50
ep.gif
Add that to the $30 copay for the prednisone and $10 for the pain killers it adds up pretty quick - but the relief is well worth it. They still took a good two weeks to clear, but that was because they were secondary to a far worse problem. I've got this huge brown scar where they were, and from what I understand I'm prone to them forever now.

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately that is true. My neighbor just got his second set of shingles. He (he is in his late 70's) forgot all about the first case he had years ago and 3 weeks ago it flared up again. He waited a bit too long to seek medical help this time. It was already at it's peak and he is in pain constantly. But it is getting better now.

Emzyyy,
I would definitely get the vaccine. However, I was told that the vaccine is not 100% preventive. My oldest got the vaccine when she was 5-7yrs. (?) and still got the chicken pox. But it was so mild that there were no complications and she was not miserable. So it seems to work and keeps it from flaring up out of hand.

I just got back from the doctor...

shingles

Dang it

The only way shingles are infectious is through the sore/blister themselves.

The chickenpox are contagious through airborne particles as well as touch.

My shingles are on my neck, nose and in my mouth. If your mom's shingles are on her torso then by keeping them covered she can greatly reduce the risk of transmission.

I had some famvir for fever blisters that I took and they helped keep my virus under control.

The doctor gave me an Rx of Valtrex today with a co-pay of $65. Dang, I am glad this isn't a chronic condition.

I am handling my pain with advair and the like so I didn't take the neuropathic pain med.

Emzyyy, she should be fine and so should you. Just practice common since hygiene.

Her shingles are up her neck and side of her face and scalp.
hmm.png
Which I never get sick with anything anyway. I've never had the flu, strep throat, chicken pox...I HAVE had pink eye and a couple colds that last maybe a day....Dunno I just don't usually catch anything. Last time I was sick was around two-three years ago?? *knock on wood.*

Back
Top Bottom