Made some changes this time around- want to share success!

It would only be for my own personal consumption. I was looking at doing red rangers, but heard the roosters can be pretty feisty.

I just did FR/Rosambros, and right at the end, a couple of the roosters got feisty with each other. They never bothered me. I'd certainly order them again.

It would only be for my own personal consumption. I was looking at doing red rangers, but heard the roosters can be pretty feisty.

Have you tried ranging your CX?

Saved me a ton of money, and watching them be chickens made me happy.

Video here at 12 weeks old

0.jpg

Here they are at 6 weeks.

Doing some now alongside some CX. No problems, so far. Much more resilient than the CX, but don't dress out, as well. Take longer do. Great foragers on pasture, though. Don't eat as much as the CX.

Have you tried ranging your CX? Saved me a ton of money, and watching them be chickens made me happy. Video here at 12 weeks old Here they are at 6 weeks.
I 'liked' your page on facebook, I see all the CX updates on there and I must say they are the happiest I have ever seen! :) I tried free ranging my CX flock when they were 4 weeks old and they would never come home. I would go out at sunset and try to lure them back with treats and they just wouldnt budge. This year with the eagles nesting behind us and the coyotes having pups back there as well, I just couldn't risk them not wanting to go back. I tried for over a week with no luck. They have a giant enclosure that has trees and grass in it, I just dont know how long those will last but it will do for now :/

I just did FR/Rosambros, and right at the end, a couple of the roosters got feisty with each other. They never bothered me. I'd certainly order them again.

Did you just have roosters or did you have some pullets too?

I 'liked' your page on facebook, I see all the CX updates on there and I must say they are the happiest I have ever seen!
smile.png

I tried free ranging my CX flock when they were 4 weeks old and they would never come home. I would go out at sunset and try to lure them back with treats and they just wouldnt budge. This year with the eagles nesting behind us and the coyotes having pups back there as well, I just couldn't risk them not wanting to go back. I tried for over a week with no luck. They have a giant enclosure that has trees and grass in it, I just dont know how long those will last but it will do for now
hmm.png

I believe it is the age I started letting them out. I have a group that is 6 weeks now and I can't range them.. The hawks.. First day it injured two! I chased it off both times. I can't have them suffering like that... Note to self: Only spring and summer CX next year...

I feel bad that they are cooped up, but they do have plenty of room right now. I'll move them to the goat room once I feel comfortable letting my show birds back with the flock (quarantining them just to be safe).

I think I'll just do one large batch next year instead of overlapping batches of them. I couldn't let this group out with the older group because the bigger CX were quite food aggressive. I didn't want to see the younger group not getting enough to eat. I waited until all the first were processed. By that time they were 4 weeks, and that whole week was crazy cold and rainy.. not the best time to let them out for the first time. So I waited until they were 5 weeks. They seemed to do quite well despite the hawks...

One hawk ripped a very large hole in one's skin. Nothing else was injured - just the skin. I put a massive amount of coconut oil in the skin flap and returned it to the pen. I can't even tell which one it is now, but it's fine. There was quite the struggle. They are too heavy for the hawks to carry off, so the hawk just mangles it right there on the ground.
somad.gif

The hawk doesn't even attempt to mess with the older two CX girls I kept. They are larger than the hawk for sure.

I believe it is the age I started letting them out. I have a group that is 6 weeks now and I can't range them.. The hawks.. First day it injured two! I chased it off both times. I can't have them suffering like that... Note to self: Only spring and summer CX next year...

I feel bad that they are cooped up, but they do have plenty of room right now. I'll move them to the goat room once I feel comfortable letting my show birds back with the flock (quarantining them just to be safe).

I think I'll just do one large batch next year instead of overlapping batches of them. I couldn't let this group out with the older group because the bigger CX were quite food aggressive. I didn't want to see the younger group not getting enough to eat. I waited until all the first were processed. By that time they were 4 weeks, and that whole week was crazy cold and rainy.. not the best time to let them out for the first time. So I waited until they were 5 weeks. They seemed to do quite well despite the hawks...

One hawk ripped a very large hole in one's skin. Nothing else was injured - just the skin. I put a massive amount of coconut oil in the skin flap and returned it to the pen. I can't even tell which one it is now, but it's fine. There was quite the struggle. They are too heavy for the hawks to carry off, so the hawk just mangles it right there on the ground.
somad.gif

The hawk doesn't even attempt to mess with the older two CX girls I kept. They are larger than the hawk for sure.

We have so many hawks around here as well! It has just been one predator after another here and I am getting discouraged. I have been letting my egg layers out because they spend most of their time in the woods but I have kept my show stock in. They want out so badly. Sometimes if I have a few hours I'll let them go out but once I go in, they go in.

I am lucky to not have any losses due to predators (yet) but I know once the long winter hits everyone is going to be starving and trying to go after my flock again. Last winter I had one very brave hawk sitting on the fence post of the run just watching my girls in the coop. I had all heavy breeds at the time that weighed far more than the hawk but I think it was waiting to see if anything smaller came along. I watched in horror from the window and let my dog, Maizy, out to take care of the problem. There was about 3ft of snow at this time so I knew she would get to the hawk faster than I would. She ran out and didn't bark until she was right underneath it. Scared the living daylights out of the thing and it hasn't come back to the fence since. Now the eagles and hawks sit in the pines on the opposite side of the creek and just watch. Sometimes I wonder if they are planning some master scheme together to take them all out
roll.png

We have so many hawks around here as well! It has just been one predator after another here and I am getting discouraged. I have been letting my egg layers out because they spend most of their time in the woods but I have kept my show stock in. They want out so badly. Sometimes if I have a few hours I'll let them go out but once I go in, they go in.

I am lucky to not have any losses due to predators (yet) but I know once the long winter hits everyone is going to be starving and trying to go after my flock again. Last winter I had one very brave hawk sitting on the fence post of the run just watching my girls in the coop. I had all heavy breeds at the time that weighed far more than the hawk but I think it was waiting to see if anything smaller came along. I watched in horror from the window and let my dog, Maizy, out to take care of the problem. There was about 3ft of snow at this time so I knew she would get to the hawk faster than I would. She ran out and didn't bark until she was right underneath it. Scared the living daylights out of the thing and it hasn't come back to the fence since. Now the eagles and hawks sit in the pines on the opposite side of the creek and just watch. Sometimes I wonder if they are planning some master scheme together to take them all out
roll.png

I have had many Eagles around but no issues at all. They prefer the fish.

But those hawks.. daring buggers.. I think the problem hawk has moved on.. I'll know for sure this weekend. If it doesn't bother them on Saturday, I'll let the meaties out on Sunday.

I have my really good breeding juveniles in a pen. Once they are big enough to not be taken on by the hawk (which has gotten the crap kicked out of him by a broody, so I know it's not all that tough), they can go out.

Thanks for sharing this great info. I'm intrigued by your use of a scalpel. I saw they have different size blades and handles. Which size do you use or recommend? Also, how many birds can you get per blade before they need replacing? Thanks!

I honestly don't have a preference as to size. The only thing I do have a preference on is that they are medical grade. Some people confuse them with x-acto knives from craft or hardware stores. Craft grade you will get through maybe 10 birds and have to replace the blade. Medical grade I use for probably 40-50 birds and replace it. Keep in mind that the blade is still useable for other things but I just need it extremely sharp to make a nice cut without any mistakes. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom