Aposlezell

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2019
I have a two-year-old girl who we thought was egg bound. While giving her an Epson salt bath we noticed a ton of worms in the water. I went to my local supply store and picked up the only wormer that I could find which was Zyfend A. I am planning on starting the treatment with the whole flock tomorrow morning. I just wanted to know if anyone else has used this product and had any luck? or if I need to get a different kind of medication for her. The infestation looks to be pretty bad, she was happy and normal yesterday and today she was lethargic and waddling strange, laying down, and just looked tired. The worms are small and short and white, they look like roundworms to me. Thank you in advance for any advice yall may have.

This is of the worms

Attachments

• worms.jpg
    worms.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
i can go and try to get a good picture of her rear end but she is still wet from the epson salt bath.

This is her backside

Attachments

• chicken butt 2.jpg
    chicken butt 2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 25
  • chicken butt.jpg
    chicken butt.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 22
Those are maggots and your hen has a wound. Flystrike.

Keep flushing the wound and pick out the maggots until you see no more, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn. Re-check the wound and flush it again a few times a day since more maggots may emerge or hatch - they will cause damage and infection.

Can you tell how deep that wound goes?

Zyfend A is not going to do a thing for this, nor will it de-worm your flock if they have worms.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

I can't tell how deep that wound is. I will go pick up some Vetericyn first thing tomorrow, Thank you for the advice. I do not have a avian vet near me, is this something that a regular vet may be able to help with or is it something that i would even need to take her in for in the first place?

I can't tell how deep that wound is. I will go pick up some Vetericyn first thing tomorrow, Thank you for the advice. I do not have a avian vet near me, is this something that a regular vet may be able to help with or is it something that i would even need to take her in for in the first place?
Where is the wound?
Soak her again and keep hand picking the maggots off of her.

Back
Top Bottom