Magpie Geese

GuineaFowlKepper

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Abbeville, AL
Has anybody ever raised magpie geese? Does anybody have any? Are they free range, or penned up? Do they require water, or can they pasture?
Any help appreciated, Kirby

Quote:
Unless you live in Australia you are unlikely to get your hands on magpie geese, and from the questions you asked you aren't ready for Magpie geese, but good luck all the same.

I have never seen a picture of a Magpie geese-can you post one? Geese are a lot of fun if you can match the right breed to your lifestyle. Having had Ancona ducks, and understanding what magpie ducks looks like, maybe you'd like saddleback Sebastopols! I got my first one from Cottage Rose as a baby. and I named it Charming, and (He?) is! I have all other colors of Sebs, but I think the saddlebacks are really "flashy". He/she is 3 months old now. Charming is my husbands favorite color combo.
goslings738.jpg

goslings752.jpg

Saddlebacks would be a good substitute...or how about Magpie Ducks?
Waterfowl do not require a pond or lake but they need a a container big enough to get into to bathe in, filled with fresh water daily.

Quote:
Unless you live in Australia you are unlikely to get your hands on magpie geese, and from the questions you asked you aren't ready for Magpie geese, but good luck all the same.

The reason I ask if they can pasture is because I have seen zoos that keep them in open fields with kangaroos, emus, and cereopsis (which are geese that prefer not to swim) Cereopsis geese CAN be pastured. A friend of mine keeps them with goats.

Heres a pic of a magpie goose: http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/19/116419-004-9E6C7C79.jpg

Quote:
There are a few private breeders that have them. They can be difficult to get to breed. Unless pinioned, they would need to be in a covered pen, as they would fly away. They do not need a pond, but access to a small pool with fresh water at least. Also need protection from cold temps.

Randy

magpiegeese.jpg

Quote:
There are a few private breeders that have them. They can be difficult to get to breed. Unless pinioned, they would need to be in a covered pen, as they would fly away. They do not need a pond, but access to a small pool with fresh water at least. Also need protection from cold temps.

Randy

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/spectrumranch/magpiegeese.jpg

Those are lovely geese-do I see a knob on their forehead? They also look quite small (?) They must be an Asian breed?

They do have a small knob on the front of the head. They do not have much webbing between toes and spend as much time perching on roosts as swimming in water.

There are a wild goose from Australia. They are smaller and alot lighter than a domestic goose.

Back
Top Bottom