Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
POST #1

to Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

chick-ginny.gif
Click HERE to see all the CONTESTS and PRIZES

PLEASE REPORT THE NUMBER OF CHICKS YOU HATCHED ---->HERE

THIS NUMBER NEEDS TO BE REPORTED BY APRIL 11TH, 2012 AT 11:59:59 PM "Mahonri time" MST.

Feb 29 Newsbreak...…
celebrate.gif

GUESS HOW MANY CHICKS WE'LL HATCH! Be the closest to the number and you will win this!

Click the photo above to see the Mini Advance fully digital 7 egg incubator!

Thanks to www.Brinsea.com for providing us with this great prize!

The spreadsheet for guesses has been recorded!

Guesses were made before 11:59:59PM on March 24th.

Eggs to be set by Mahonri

TOTAL EGGS TO BE SET BY MAHONRI = 74

#s & Breed

16 NotAFarm ICELANDICS.......15 hatched 1 died, 14

14 Peachick W/BW Ameraucanas.......................3
11 WMR Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas.............3
7 ca Rare Sulmtalers.............................6
6 Peachick Black/Blue Sumatras.......................1
4 Renee Project Ameraucanas......................1
3 Renee Gold Laced Orps.............................0
3 Renee Isabel/Porcelain Orps......................0
3 Renee BBSM Bantam Cochins....................1
3 Renee Small Dark Layers..........................1
2 Renee Chocolate Eng. Orps/OEs.................0
2 ca Sulmtaler X Ameraucanas................2

chick-ginny.gif
Feb 19 NEWS FLASH!...........

370x369px-LL-b17cee0b_newspaper-3.jpeg

Past news articles of interest.....
370x414px-LL-fe46e06a_2ndannualNYDhatch.jpeg

480x627px-LL-b590ae7a_2ndannualEaster.jpeg

chick-ginny.gif
PLEASE FILL OUT THE participation form HERE. See the results HERE.

chick-ginny.gif
Put yourself on the map HERE. Instructions are in the top left corner.

chick-ginny.gif
Guess the number of eggs that will be set HERE. See results HERE.

chick-ginny.gif
On Saturday, March 17th at high Noon (where ever you are) we set Chicken eggs... other poultry breed setting dates listed below...

chick-ginny.gif
We want to hatch on April 7th, (the day BEFORE Easter Sunday)

button quail: 16 days to hatch; set March 22nd
coturnix quail: 18 days to hatch; set March 20th
seramas: 19 days to hatch; set March 19th
other bantam and LF: 21 days to hatch; set March 17th!
bobwhite quail: 23 days to hatch; set March 15th
call duck: 26 days to hatch; set March 12th
mallard (derived) duck,goose, turkey, guinea: 28 days to hatch; set March 10th
goose: 28 to 32 days to hatch; set March 6th -March 10th
muscovy duck: 35 days to hatch; set March 3rd!
emu: approx. 53 days to hatch-- (set them on February 14th!) let's hope nobody is setting emu!
lol.png

chick-ginny.gif
AWESOME Hatching tips and hints revealed in this thread are listed HERE.

If you haven't done so, right now is the time to start communicating with breeders! Now is the time to get your eggs lined up, (or to pray for your girls to start laying) to have your eggs arrive by March 16th so that you can set them at High Noon (your time) on March 17th, for an April 7th Hatch! (Day before Easter Sunday) If you don't have a bator and can't plan for a broody, now is the time to get an incubator ordered or a homemade one built!

2 years ago my Easter Hatch was entitled the "Great Blue Wheaten Ameraucana Hatch of 2010", but since it was around Easter and since I've gotten baby chicks right around Easter every year for the past 4 years, it's become a tradition. Last year in the 2nd Annual Hatch, we had over 170 participants!!! The last NYD hatch went over that amount so I guess it is because BYC continues to grow. Obviously, this HATCH-A-LONG is becoming a HUGE BYC Tradition.

So let's start discussing! .. and planning... So far, 6 GFM's will be given out for various contests that we'll HATCH UP.... I've already had folks contact me about donating prizes, this could very well be the very BIGGEST BYC Hatch-A-Long ever and everyone is invited!!!

Who is hatching with me???!!!

Many thanks to Laree, The Sheriff, Superchemicalgirl, NotAFarm, and Kathyinmo who have consented to help me with this Hatch-a-long.

Who is partcipating? --- 268 !!....

1 silkie 2
1muttsfan
2 britts
9Catz
Acresofchickens
adiclepcea
AK Michelle
Alycek11
ambrosia
annabananaandfamily
anniesmom
Appalachian Chickens #230
Arielle
Arizonachicken
audrey02026
AZBootzie
azrael5748
backroomtreasures
bakingintherain
BarnGoddess01
Barred Rocker
BBAcres
berniezahm
bestusnestus
BHep
bigdawg
biomistake
BirdyGirl7198
Blkwdw

bookerdog
BostonBryce
Breshcandra
BrettMo
brijay2
buckabucka
bugsaroo
buttercup0884
ca ---- I'll be hatching a couple of her sulmtalers!!!
CAC
Cadeau
cadejenn
CALI CHICK
catdaddyfro
Cattitude
CayuseRanch
CBarrett
CDel
Cedarknob
champer
cherylcohen
ChestnutRidge
chevynova
chick-among-us
chickaroo3
chickenfarmer1231
chicken fever
Chickhick
chickie15
ChicksOMy123
chico
ChooksChick - Mahonri will be hatching a famous 'grab bag' of interesting breeds from her farm.
coldupnorth
Contrastphoto
countrygirl5
Countrygirl911
cowchick11
Coz74
cpntherfan
craz e laid e
crazyeggs
crazypetlady
Cynthia12
debrawynn
debs_flock
deltachick
desertmarcy
dinahmoe
dkcrumly
DDNONIN2016
dsqard
duck&chickencrazy
ducks rcool329
eaglequest
Egghead_Jr.
Eggcessive
eggsdream
emvickrey
EnnisLakeFarm
evygee
failla525
Farmerboy16
featherz
FLITZ
flgardengirl
Fuzzybird
GA_in_GA
galanie
gamamachik #100!
GJ Kate #200!
gmolly
Gneta831
Granny Hoffman
greenacre
Grumpypantsmomma
gryeyes
Gvnam
happyhensny
hdowden
hennypenny99
Hillbilly Hen
hoppy
HortonFarms
Hot2Pot
Idloretta
Idontremember
Illia
ItsAZOO32
JasminesZoo
java girl 2
jbowyer01
JEH1984
jenjscott
jenjeran... #195....
jenlynn4
JD4570
Jeffross1968
Jessshan8
JessyeDagger
joanie_maine
Johndeere96
jonespoultryfarm
joyous
JulieNKC
Kagedgoddess
karimw
kathyinMo - (member of the Mahonri sanity patrol)
kefiren
kellyn ?
kevs-chickadees
kfchickenlady
Kismet
klf73
kristip
kvmommy
KYTinpusher
La Casa de Pollo
Lady Chickadee
LaGeniaLoca
Laree -- my Valley of the Sun chicken bud and maker of the famous Laree Brooder!!
Lark Rise
LeasureChix
Lighthouse Montesorri
lilstar
lincolnsilkies
littlecreekfarm
LlamaMama
Lotsapaints
LukeandAli
luvanimals2
Mahonri ! (that's me)
mallory2013
Marty1876
mbleily
meepitqueenie
Melissa Rose
Memphisjourney2seramas
michaelinnc84
mlmddh
moetrout
Mom29
Mom 2em All
mothrhen
m.r.heavenlyhens
mrheinz77
MrsMoonCat
mstricer
Nazx13
newduckie
nightowl223
Noncentzter
NorthTexaschick
NotaFarm -daily updater... and providing Mahonri Icelandic eggs.
notinoz2007
OldChurchEggery1
onawhimfarm .... #80!
Papa Brooder
pasunset
(Peachick)... I'm hatching some of her W/BW Ameraucanas
pigtail21
Pinx
PollyC # 171... the record breaker!!
PortoProud
pppearl
QuackerJackFarms
r4eboxer
ragerkid2
RareBreedFancier
rarley bored
Razadia
rebelINny
rebekaram
redhd077
rgvchicks
Robinsfowls
roncrna
ronott1
Royd
sager:)silkies
SarahIrl
sarbee 42
sbarab
ScaredOfShadows
SChunn
Scooter & Susie
Shad64
shelby528
SherrieT
Sphinx
SierraMay
silkymom1986
smm429
sonow123
sourland
Southernbelle
Spangled
SparkyCrows
Spishkey
Steady
stephanie1992
SteveH
stillmecle
stone_family3
Sueg4332
SunnyBrookeFarm
SunnyDawn
Superchemicalgirl - HOW could we do ANY HUGE BYC hatch without her and Laree?
Tanichca
tazcat70
tbitt
teehee
thebirdguy
The Chickeneer
thechickonthehill
ThePigeonKid
The Pink Chicken Coop
THE SHERIFF ! - helps keep Mahonri sane
Thespoiledchicken
Tiffrz-N-Kidz
tinamommy727
tinychicky
tls_ranch
trish44
twentynine
Vanessabuffsnsilkies
VigilanteChick
wannbe_chickadee
WhiteMountainsRanch - Mahonri will be hatching her BW Ameraucanas.
Whittni
wholewheatchicken
wisher1000
wolftracks
xChickiex
zookeeper15133

http://alphabetizer.flap.tv/index.php

chick-ginny.gif
The lastest "Official list" of participants is found above. If you don't see your name on it and you want to be a part of Our Easter Hatch PM me. If I put you on twice, PM me! (I'm too tired to go through and compare again!)...

.... if you tell us you are "in", say so in the thread or by a PM to me, and you'll be added to this list!

Are y'all ready to ? ! ! !

This will most likely be the biggest and best BYC Hatch along ever!

7.gif
9.gif
8.gif
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Lock down... 4-3-12

RESULTS: First Candle 2nd candle Results__________________________________________________

16 NotAFarm ICELANDICS 0 non-developed, 16 remain! 16 remain! 1 PIPPED ! On day 17!
14 Peachick W/BW Ameraucanas 8 non-developed, 6 remain. 6 remain.
11 WMR Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas 1 non-developed,10 remain -6 4 remain.
7 ca Rare Sulmtalers 1 non-developed, 6 remain. 6 remain
6 Peachick Black/Blue Sumatras 5 non-developed, 1 remains. 1 remains
4 Renee Project Ameraucanas 3 non-developed, 1 remains. 1 remains
3 Renee Gold Laced Orps 2 non-developed, 1 remains. 1 remains
3 Renee Isabel/Porcelain Orps 2 non-developed, 1 remains -1 0 remain
3 Renee BBSM Bantam Cochins 0 non-developed, 3 remain. 3 remain
3 Renee Small Dark Layers 1 non-developed, 2 remain. -1 1 remains
2 Renee Chocolate Eng. Orps/OEs 0 non-developed, 2 remain. -2 0 remain (and one is STINKY)
2 ca Sulmtaler X Ameraucanas 0 non-developed, 2 remain. 2 remain
74 total set. 51 remain.
_________________________________________________________________________________

TOTALS........................................ 23 in the can, 51 remain. -10 41 remain

Last edited:
Hint ## If you get eggs that has ends that are somewhat similar and you can't be sure which end is the air-cell end, candle to see which end is correct. Sometimes they are not what you'd guess. If the egg is particularly fresh and you still can't tell due to lack of air-cell altogether, set the egg on its side when you set them and wait a couple of days: there will be a darker hue and the air-cell will be defined. Now put the right side up!

What do you think? Does anyone know if field peas will have a negative effect on health/hatchability?

If you're asking me, it beats me.

I'm only talking about field peas (pisum sativum var. arvense), not dried green split peas of pea soup or Jolly Green Giant frozen peas.
smile.png
Field peas are IFN 5-03-600. I'm not quite sure what others are talking about or if they are also talking about pisum sativum var. arvense.

Robert Blair wrote a book entitlled, Nutrition and Feeding of Organic Poultry with a copyright date of 2008. Much of what he wrote on pages 125-128 seems to be summarized here: www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/livestoc/eb76-5.htm Maybe it's not a summary, but much of the same information is covered.

Blair's book claims trypsin inhibitors (and others anti-nutritional factors--tannins, phytase, amylase, etc.) in field peas are, except for young poultry where inclusion percentages should be restricted, generally considered to not cause any major problems in poultry. They say there's a slight decrease in rate of lay in layers when 10% field peas are used, but the text itself doesn't say what feed they're comparing it to (maybe it's in the actual studies that he's citing--Harrold, 2002). But the very next sentence states that Castell, Guenter, and Igbasin in 1996 found that diets for layers provided good results when field peas were included at rates of up to 30%. The kicker? I don't see where they mention hatchability at all. I also don't see where cooking is mentioned as being necessary. Since this is a textbook for organic poultry producers, if cooking were necessary, I'm surprised it's not mentioned. But then, I don't think this book is meant to be an exhaustive treatise on poultry nutrition.

This link www.smallgrains.org/hans/Dry_Field_Peas/dry_field_peas.html (click on uses) from the University of Minnesota states that they don't have to be cooked. I found a couple of other sources, but they weren't documented by a university or researcher or poultry nutritionist.

So, anyway, we've all gotta do what we think is the most advantageous for us in our efforts to win the prize for the best hatch rate in Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long.
clap.gif

If anyone would like to share their "Hatchability Hints & Secrets," please do! It would be fun to set a record this year for Best Hatch Rate that will stand the test of time, that future Annual Easter Hatch-a-longs will strive to supercede.

Oh ... here's one. Keep the oyster shell available at all time free choice. The hen can regulate her intake. Shell quality is really important becaues after about Day 10, the chick somehow takes calcium out of the shell to help build its skeleton! Wow! (I've lost the link.)

For anyone wanting to participate in Chookschick's cinco-de-mayo turkey hatchathon but only have one incubator. Here is a very inexpencive Hatcher that I built for the purpose to be able to participate. Thanks to another member who inspired me to do so. I posted these plans in the turkathon thread and decided to share it with you all in hopes you all will join us there as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hon-join-us-set-day-easter/0_100#post_8622871

Here are the picks of the hatcher I completed to hatch the eggs in my bator from the Easter hatch-along. They will go into lockdown in there. This will give me time to clean and disinfect my fridgebator for the turkey hatch-along. thanks to Zookeeper15133 for the idea to build it.
bow.gif
thumbsup.gif

I built it from a styrofoam shipping container from a local pet store. It was a box that they shipped live fish in. I called and asked them and they told me they give them away or just throw them away. I would coll your local store to see if they have any. The light I got from a local thrift store for $1.50. The HW thermo I had laying around along with the metal grid. I pit water bottles on the bottom to use as heat sinks to slow the cycling of the lights and retain and give off heat. here are a set of plans to build your own incubator / hatcher. You can change the size if you like the principles are the same. *** If you decide to build one yourself note that you will be dealing with electricity and the possibility of shock is prevalent use caution please!***** I have these plans in PDF if anyone wants a copy PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Now, can someone explain pipping, peeping, zipping etc.....I feel like you are all speaking a foreign language!!

Pip: first breakthrough of the shell. They can sit like this for HOURS without progressing and that's normal:

Zipping is where the chick starts scooting around the inside of the shell and breaking it open in a line like a zipper:

Then they sit for a while and rest, and then push with their feet until they're out. Then they're hatched!

Do you ever look at the site's stats? Click, "HOME," scroll down, and it's on the right side....

What's this..... 4th place stuff ?

And ya know, we really need to start using the "thumbs up," feature! Heck, right now it only takes one to a post to get recognized! Let's set some records here! What do ya say?

Last edited:
I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for this wonderful Hatch a long. I purchased my first hens a little over a year ago and wandered across BYC. I saw this crazy Mahonri hatch a long and thought...Not this year, but maybe later on. By New Years I was anxiously awaiting the easter hatch a long and was one of the first to sign up. My previous hatches had been dismall failures and I attribute this one's moderate success to everyone on this thread for their input, help and encouragement. I am sure there are many many people involved to make this a success and I don't want to leave anyone out I just want to give a great big Thanks!
For those of you that came in late or are thinking maybe another hatch a long...here are some things I really enjoyed from this years thread.......

• Great creations such as brooders, incubators, packing material and my favorite the pedigree boxes.
  • Vicariously watched emu's hatch, tell their toddler/teen story and fell in love
  • Incubation techniques such as dry incubation, stabilizing temps, etc
  • Found out about the Spot check thermometer and purchased
  • Figured out what a water weasel is....still can't find one
  • Was inspired/enabled/peer pressured into wanting to acquire additional breeds such as icelandic, isbar, emu's, alpaca's, peacock, LGD's and many many more
  • How to trap and eliminate pests such as skunks and moles
  • How to scare a momma moose and baby from your pasture
  • Great recipes were shared
  • How to create seed rows
  • How to fix numberous computer/byc/internet or profile issues
  • How to multi quote or put things in signature
  • Found out Who MN is
  • And most of all I really enjoyed visiting with all of you over the last several months!

May your year continue to be blessed with more chickens, chicks and eggs!
God Bless,
Amy

Last edited:
I have a tip that I don't think very many of us think about......... WORMING OUR BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!! MY hens had worms and the egg production dropped like nothing I had seen before. I then found out that they had worms
barnie.gif
So I was looking around for a wormer I can use that was safe for eggs and the meat birds, most of what I could find......... YOU CAN NOT EAT THE EGGS FOR 30 DAYS, oh and here is the kicker........ YOU NEED TO WORM EVERY 30 DAYS oh and you can't hatch the eggs too.
smack.gif
so what to do????? well I found two wormers that was safe to use all the time. but the first one you have to do everyday for 90 days then you may do it for 3 days out of the month.
th.gif
the 2nd one is the one I use, it's called verm-x and it's so very good!!!!!!!! my eggs are coming back now and this was just the first time I did it!!!!!!!!!! I am geting more this week!!!!!!!! verm-x is THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!! SO MY TIP IS WORMING OUR BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!
ya.gif

I will see if I can get it.

Ron
Hi All,

Aveca sent me her notes for hatching shipped eggs. If this works and a lot of us use it with our shipped eggs, the hatch ratio contest will be out of bounds this time
ya.gif

Here it is--Remember, these instructions are for shipped eggs:

it says allow eggs to sit 12 - 24 hrs in a place where if they are cool , they can warm up slowly. leave them after carefully unwrapped upright inside cartons and close lid so they will not warm up too quickly. eggs that warm too quickly , or cool too quickly are shocked . causes lower hatch rate.one of the reasons shipped eggs do not fare well..slow cooling and heateing give better success. cool eggs can remain in cool area, remember warm very slowly, do not ever shock shipped eggs or any egg by throwing it in the incubator , this causes condensation on the inside of the cool egg and bactieria begin to grow and kill the egg. always warm eggs slow;ly,.... try to keep already warm eggs stable, do not allow those to take sudden chill. never be inpatient to get eggs in incubator.warm eggs that take a sudden drop in temps will kill the developing germ. even in late development.

you should have your incubator up and running days befor they arrive and be stabalized.

place eggs upright carefully in turner trays or cartons if hand turning.

allow shipped hatching eggs to sit upright position in incubator with egg turner off for 7 - 10 days , this allows air cell to stabalize and give the germ time to organise and get a healthy start without constantly being moved disturbing delicate vessels and cell formation. shipped eggs most likley suffered some damage, constantly disturbing this formation will give lower hatchs.

depending on damage, turn your egg turner on day 7 and allow eggs to be turned for the last part of incubation. this excercises the embryo and prevents the embryo from laying in an area where waste product inside the eggs collects, helps circulation and proper development.

Run your humidity lower than recomended to help air cells to dry down and helps in healing.unless eggs are coming from very arid regions where the cells start out larger due to rapid evaporation.

do NOT lay shipped eggs down on thier sides in most cases during lockdown. it is best to sit these in slightly cut down paper cartons... do not use styro cartons as they heat and release chemicals that can be toxic. cutting the side of the carton down just a little ensures pipping can occur without running into carton wall.

sometimes befor or during shipment conditions are right for the germ to begin to develope, this is the most delicate time for a hatching egg. and the time when most are damaged ..tiny blood vessels are beginning to form, and cells are deviding and organizing , and being shocked with sudden temp changes and shaking .so dont beat yourself up if all of your shipped eggs do not hatch, more than air cell damage , the germ itself became disorganized and cannot re build itself. that is why the freshest shipped eggs are most desirable. you will get a larger percentage to hatch using this method and conditions in your incubator are correct. it is so worth it to buy from a good breeder. often it just isnt possible to drive across the country just to pick up some eggs or birds so try this method and happy hatching,

remember post office personel are not trained in handeling these products , thier job is just to move item place to place..hopefully there was not a drastic temp change or prolonged air flights in sub freezing cargo in low 02, 30 thousand ft plane ride

Thanks to aveca! Send her a pm

Ron

Back
Top Bottom