Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I will catch up soon, but I just had a chick hatch with the umbilical still attached to the membrane which was still attached to the shell. It was wrapped around his foot and every time he'd kick I'd see the skin stretch on his belly, so I reached in and pulled the membrane off the shell and untangled it. He looks pretty weak. The top of the umbilical is reddish..does that mean its intestine? Do I just leave all that dangling membrane?

It's more than likely the belly button. Apply triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) to it at least twice a day for 3-4 days. It'll heal.

I think this is my last one that will hatch. I just pulled it out of the incubator.

What a perfect picture, cute chick, and beautiful wedding ring! I've got a little Speckled Sussex enlarging her pip, so I may get another one yet.

Boy, am I having a hard time keeping these chicks straight! First, I couldn't tell my Buff Orpington from my Basque Hens. Now, I can't tell my Brown Leghorn from my Speckled Sussexes! I have a hunch, however.
pop.gif
Keep the chick pictures coming, everyone!

If you haven't e-mailed me your short story please do so I can make a page for everyone to vote later today. All the short stories are GREAT it's going to be hard to choose.

My hatch didn't go so well after some low temps my incubator spiked to 106 for at least overnight as far as I could tell. Then one of my brinsea mini's lost heat, my brand new spot check got fried when the temps were 106 and doesn't work right anymore. Even after the 106 I had some chicks moving and then my humidity thermometer kept saying 37% so I kept raising the humidity and I suspected something was wrong and got a new one and it was 86% in there I had STICKY chicks. After all that I still got 3 mystery chicks, 1 frizzle and 1 serama and now I have quail eggs chirping their brains out and piping so hopefully I will be able to add them to the count soon. 1st I have to catch up on 300+ posts.

Now it's at 82%
sad.png

ETA: it's at 87% and the temps are dropping a bit.

I use a squeeze bottle with tube attached to add water, and the same thing sucks water back out if you empty it.
58% was perfect in my opinion, if they are chicken eggs. I have many more hatching problems from high humidity than from temporary temperature dips, and have often opened an incubator to dump humidity.

Back
Top Bottom