Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

ronott..no worries, mine aren't showing much either at this stage. I'm a couple of days ahead of you all..

Candled, I have 20 eggs left out of 32. Had to throw one out tonight, because I COULD see through it, and it was not moving, and didn't look right at all. My eggs are dark blues and greens, so hard to see through at this point.
I can see some veining at the end of the dark area near the air sac..so will not worry to much. Veins and a nice looking air sac is all I can go by at this point.

Lock down for me is on Mon., hatch day is on Thursday!
ya.gif

Pure Araucanas, and Pure Wheaten Ameraucanas.. Crossing fingers for more tufts than not on the Araucanas! Hatched some a while back, got some real nice ones..they are so darn cute!

A K Michelle, I talked to a breeder about Great Pyr pups today, and she told me that they might eat my chickens... What do you think? My dogs are great with the chooks, even the baby chicks, I would think a new pup brought into our mix would mimic their behavior.
Blarney-- I had a maremma that was great with the sheep, chased them a bit more than I liked, but other wise he did guard them. Oddly he killed the resident skunk and raccoon. All without ever smelling like he got sprayed. Just my experience.

Debsflock: is that a baby Dane in your baby pics? We've got a blue Dane, but bred harls out of a black before, they are indeed a sweet breed.
Yes, that's our sweet Emma at 9 weeks old. Here's a more recent picture taken a couple of weeks ago. She's now at 140#'s, just turned two.

Whatjaget? Whatjaget? Can't remember the prize...pictures?

I got the Gail Damerow book, "The Chicken Health Handbook". I'm sure it will come in very handy with my rapidly growing flock. Let me see, a year ago, 14 chicks from the feedstore. Today, 100+ chickens (counting the MANY chicks in the brooders) and MANY more eggs being incubated and to be incubated soon.

Deb

Last edited:
Here is my entry for the flapper contest

Your "Flapper" is doing the Charleston! How appropriate is that?

Spangled..yes, you can get chicken bumper stickers..look them up.... here's another.

They come in a pack of 50?! Perfect! One bumper sticker for each one of my vehicles.
lau.gif
Giggles aside ... seriously ... why do they put 50 bumper stickers in a pack? Overkill? Or maybe because all chicken people will want to give some chicken bumper stickers to their friends?

I call this... Banty Egg Fantasies

For those of you that need a caption (don't feel bad, even my stick figures need captions... but I can draw a mean benzene ring, go figure) - it's a banty egg looking in the mirror and seeing a huge double yolker.

PS Both were delicious for breakfast this morning.

Cute. Creative. Funny. But I guess those eggs won't be performing any encores.

I love the Banty egg fantasy, SCG! Since you get 3 entries, maybe you should draw a benzene ring on one (just saying).
x2

Bad news today, my two chicken-puppies in training killed two of my chickens this morning and my baby goose is missing.
hit.gif

So sorry. I hope your baby goose, just got scared and ran off and that you can find it in the morning.

Quote:

lau.gif
Can you imagine the looks? Oh. That would be so funny.

Quote:
Until I got my strong flashlight the other day, none of my eggs ever looked like that in hatches of past years. All I could see was darkness below an air cell at day 14. Your eggs don't have to look like the photo for them to be doing perfectly okay. I didn't even candle my first few hatches, and I don't candle eggs I put under my broodies.
------------------------------------------------

I am now officially caught up.
jumpy.gif

NOT a good week. For friends that pray... pray for me and my family.

I'll be locking down Wednesday at lunch... hoping none of the Icelandics pip early.

I hope so too. Bubbles was a "special" gosling, all of her hatch mates seizured and died within the first week, she had seizures too but survived. The seizures, however, left her a bit on the retarded side and unable to vocalize, but I did not have the heart to cull her. She was super friendly and never wanted us to leave her. I hope she bunkered down during last nights storm, there was no way she could get out of her pen unless something took her from air, but she was in the pen with a grown duck and a pot belly pig. ( they all sleep in one big pile)
hu.gif

NOT a good week. For friends that pray... pray for me and my family.

I'll be locking down Wednesday at lunch... hoping none of the Icelandics pip early.
Prayers going your way. Hope it all works out. Great GC. A lot on familes! Take care.
hugs.gif

Spangled, lol..not sure you have to order 50, it's just the one I picked out for showing another cute one. But, ya know, if you ship eggs, you could put a sticker in the box just for fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom