Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I have seen some posting where shipped eggs do better if set upright in a turner for incubating, then set in an egg carton for hatching.

How many of you follow this procedure???

My hatch rate with shipped eggs has been terrible (only two different attempts but with four different sources for eggs) but my own do great. I am using the egg cartons to incubate and will be leaving them in there to hatch. My cartons look like the ones dsqard posted, only dozen size. I will put down the shelf liner under them because I cut the bottoms out a bit more than d's and the liner will catch any "runoff". I hoping for a much better result this time!

It won't be long now and we'll all have some fuzzy cuteness!!!
jumpy.gif

For shipped eggs you use the carton (or turner not running) for about a week after starting incubation. You do not need to use a carton at the end, since the air cell is fixed in place by then. I have used cartons for hatching but didn't care for them.

Well it wasn't long before the chick that zipped pushed his way out, he has been out for an hour and a half playing heck on all the other eggs lol. So far we only have 1 chick, 1 pip, and one possible pip. I'll post a picture of the chick later when I put the pics on the computer.

Well it wasn't long before the chick that zipped pushed his way out, he has been out for an hour and a half playing heck on all the other eggs lol. So far we only have 1 chick, 1 pip, and one possible pip. I'll post a picture of the chick later when I put the pics on the computer.

wee.gif
and also
fl.gif

jumpy.gif
I am still hatching. 5 Fully hatched and 15 halfway hatched. (some of these are taking their dear sweet time) They are so cute... 1 bantam polish and 4 frizzle polish.
love.gif
Charging my camera's battery still... Can't wait to upload pics in the morning.

For shipped eggs you use the carton (or turner not running) for about a week after starting incubation. You do not need to use a carton at the end, since the air cell is fixed in place by then. I have used cartons for hatching but didn't care for them.
I like the egg cartons because the hatched chicks don't play hockey with the un hatched eggs. I think that can kill the unhatched ones

Ron

About to put the kids to bed and I notice a funk coming from the LG. I decide to investigate. I have almost no sense of smell so seeing that I can actually smell this is shocking. My daughter who usually sniffs my eggs out for me regularly has been sick for quite a while and can't smell anything! Sooo...of course Murphy's law takes advantage of this situation and gives me a stinker. I can't smell which one it is. My daughter always pinpoints it quickly. So I decide to candle. And lo and behold before I even get my light up to the white egg, there is very noticeably green ring right around the air cell. It looks like it has tendrils growing down into the reddish mass that was an embryo at the bottom of the egg. I never knew they actually turned green when they started rot. I want to take a pic but can't find my camera charger. Its in a ziploc and if I can find the charger tonight i'll snap a pic...otherwise its loooong gone tomorrow. I ended up candling all the eggs and pulled 21.
he.gif
I can't find my record book. But that leaves me with 50 or so chicken eggs and all the quail eggs. Can anyone candle their quail eggs? I tried but can't see anything. The whole egg kinda glows and it makes me a little concerned but I have nothing to compare it to. But...I had a bunch or brown eggs I'm pretty sure were clear last time but left them just in case. And I'm thinking my local woman's roo wasn't doing his job. Almost all the brown eggs are clear. Thats ok, I paid for a dozen and she gave me 2 1/2 dozen or so.

Well thanks for letting me vent guys! I love the support on here. I love the stories. You guys really are great people. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom