Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

...so I'm praying that on th 7th I'll have chickies AND husband.

wee.gif
Woo Hoo! Now when he gets home, you have to arrange for a babysitter and at least one night at a hotel.
love.gif

I am in complete shock.
ep.gif
I always sex all of my chicks and I usually have about an 85-90% rate. I egg sex them before hatch (this requires lots of notes to keep up with), then I wing sex on day 1 & 3 and then vent sex at about a week old. (I compare answers and majority rules)

That being said, I sexed the 18 chicks I have from yesterday's hatch and I have 1 male and 17 females. I have always hatched more females than males (by a considerable amount, about 75/25) but this is a new record for me.
smile.png
Ok how in the world do you egg sex?

wee.gif
Woo Hoo! Now when he gets home, you have to arrange for a babysitter and at least one night at a hotel.
love.gif

You have no idea!!!! And the only person in the world I trust is my friend Sharie. And she's here for a few months! So...its going to be well appreciated. I can imagine how its going to go...flowers, some champagne...me passing out at 730 from lack of sleep and exhaustion!!!

lau.gif

You have no idea!!!! And the only person in the world I trust is my friend Sharie. And she's here for a few months! So...its going to be well appreciated. I can imagine how its going to go...flowers, some champagne...me passing out at 730 from lack of sleep and exhaustion!!!

lau.gif

What's wrong with passing out at 730 PM? It's 838 here now and waaaay past my bedtime.

Ok how in the world do you egg sex?

It's an old farmer's tale that has proved mostly true for me. (better accuracy comes with practice)

Hold the egg in front of you with the "pointy" end down

Does the bottom (pointy end) of the egg come to a point? (kinda like a V shape bottom)
itsaboy.gif

Does the bottom or the egg look rounded?
itsagirl.gif

Some eggs are VERY hard to tell but as a tip, don't look at long or study it to hard, first thought is usually right. I thought it would be fun (but thought there was no truth to it), so i decided to start trying it just to test. This is the reason I use vent and feather sexing as back up. If you have sex-link chicks they would be the best to practice on, since it would not be long to know if you were right or not.

Ya'll have fun trying it....it will give you something to do while you wait.

I am in complete shock.
ep.gif
I always sex all of my chicks and I usually have about an 85-90% rate. I egg sex them before hatch (this requires lots of notes to keep up with), then I wing sex on day 1 & 3 and then vent sex at about a week old. (I compare answers and majority rules)

That being said, I sexed the 18 chicks I have from yesterday's hatch and I have 1 male and 17 females. I have always hatched more females than males (by a considerable amount, about 75/25) but this is a new record for me.
smile.png

I'm intrigued. Egg sexing??

!So after DS decided to wake up and scream for four hours last night and DD waking up early this morning....I just had to fall asleep. And guess what. DS fiddled with the incubator. and the heat was 106!
barnie.gif
I am hoping that once again they survive this heatspike. I couldn't have been more than a couple hours like that so I'm hoping the internal temps didn't shoot that thigh.
fl.gif
But after months of not getting to even talk to DH I finally heard his sweet wonderful voice! And he's going to either fly home on the 5th or 10th depending on if they get their job done. And its a 2 day flight...so I'm praying that on th 7th I'll have chickies AND husband.

jumpy.gif
bun.gif
hugs.gif
Glad your DH will be home soon!!!!!!! and hopefully the eggs will be ok and it was just a short time at 106.
fl.gif

I am no longer in denial.
Candled and pulled 8 more Marans. I left one in there because it was hard to see through, and because it was the last one and I hated to give up on it.

Pulled 3 of 7 Ameraucanas. 3 others look like quitters, and 1 was hard to see through, but I left those in.

Pulled 3 Basque. 2 others seem to have quit, but I left them in. There are still 10 that look okay.

32 of 49 left, mostly my own mutts. There are at least 5 others I will consider pulling at lockdown, but they don't smell and I keep hoping I am just bad at candling.

A trip to chickenstock (where I can purchase UNshipped Marans and Ameraucana hatching eggs) is looking better all the time!

I'm exhausted and must go sleep now. Goodnight.

lau.gif

That will probably be the both of you on the first night. It was pretty much the same for DH and I when he got back from being overseas. The second night (or early morning
wink.png
) will be much better

What's wrong with passing out at 730 PM? It's 838 here now and waaaay past my bedtime.

See it's only seven here but I am thinking about going to bed soon. Happens as you get older and if you get up around 3:30am just about every day.

Back
Top Bottom