Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I had taken my 2 office chickens out to the front yard for a day in the "sun". I noticed it had started to rain so I went out to grab them (silkies don't do great in the rain). When I got them settled back in the office, I decided to take a peek at my Easter eggs in the hatcher. Oh my gosh! I have 2 chicks already! 1 of my own LF Cochins and a silkie or sizzle. Several other pips too. I have gone from chicks starting at least 24 hours late, to having perfect on time chicks... now they want to hatch way early. Back to the drawing board.

How can I sleep tonight??? There's a pip FHS!!! This is the best/worst part of hatching. The waiting, pacing, worrying. I know that they will do all the work, and I will just sit idly by, but the excitement is enough to keep me awake
clap.gif

And it truly doesn't help that DH walks by the bator saying things like " oh look, another pip. ......Just kidding..." but by then I have jumped out of my seat and am racing for the incubator... stinker.
I know how you feel! I was in bed and my dad came in to look at the baton. He goes, oooooooh!, look this one has a hole in it. I freaked jumped up, ran to it. But no. It wasn't pipped. It's sooooo mean!

This feels... suspiciously just like being about 39 weeks pregnant :) Not quite "due" but IT COULD TOTALLY HAPPEN! (Having gone into labor before 39 weeks, between 39-40 weeks, and most recently 41 weeks on the nose.. I'm an expert at obsessing over labor signs!)

Quote:
That is good to know!

Nothing from my three little eggs yet but I still don't expect anything til sunday (despite all the stories of early birds). I am so excited hearing about everyone else's pips and zips and peeps though! I thought it would make this lousy hatch of mine harder to bear but instead I find myself all excited about everyone else's babies. And the pics are so much fun! Thank you to everyone that took the time to take and post pics!!! It's a lot more fun hatching with others.

This feels... suspiciously just like being about 39 weeks pregnant :) Not quite "due" but IT COULD TOTALLY HAPPEN! (Having gone into labor before 39 weeks, between 39-40 weeks, and most recently 41 weeks on the nose.. I'm an expert at obsessing over labor signs!)

Haha! I should be more like you! My last one was almost born on the freeway cause I kept telling my Mom (who had just arrived that day for the blessed event) that it was just Braxton Hicks contractions. Luckily after 20 mins she decided to time them. We seriously almost didn't make it to the hospital in time!

Quote: From what I read, think it was Wikipedia - After WWII, there were almost no chickens left in Germany because they were all eaten in desperation. The US sent over a bunch of great chickens to help out - including New Hampshires. The Germans did a fantastic job with them while ours went downhill because of our focus on production birds, hybrids, etc. Then, the German strain was reimported and maintained/improved by awesome American breeders such as *Kathyinmo*. Thus, the German New Hampshires are awesome and I want some.
big_smile.png

How can I sleep tonight??? There's a pip FHS!!! This is the best/worst part of hatching. The waiting, pacing, worrying. I know that they will do all the work, and I will just sit idly by, but the excitement is enough to keep me awake
clap.gif
Awesome!!!
lol.png
That is the best - er, worst - part, for sure!

Haha! I should be more like you! My last one was almost born on the freeway cause I kept telling my Mom (who had just arrived that day for the blessed event) that it was just Braxton Hicks contractions. Luckily after 20 mins she decided to time them. We seriously almost didn't make it to the hospital in time!

Hehe, last labor was pretty fast :) There was no mistaking those suckers for braxton hicks. They MEANT BUSINESS from the very first one. Didn't even attempt to go to the hospital though. Everyone came to me and baby was born in my bed. All 11lbs of him. (This was on purpose!)

Back
Top Bottom