Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Whew! I have been DYING here! I have no peeps, no pips, no wigglers, NUTTIN'! And to make matters worse, I couldn't post! I PM'ed a couple of people and sweet Dsquard helped me out! Now I'm excited! There were so many posts that I wanted to comment on while I was incommunicado. I will just say....

Congratulations! To everyone with eggs hatching and other exciting developments.
Thanks to Jessshan
I think I could win that "Last Pip" contest (if there was one)
Reigning President of the No Pips Club - Me!

Well I successfully have 4 hatches :) My 4th hatch was taking forever and by 12ish last night I decided to help the poor guy out, he had almost completely zipped but it seemed to be shrink wrapped. so I helped him zip and unstuck the membrane near the zip so he could push the shell off. I'm glad to say I now have a very active and happy chick. I had to open up and remove two of the older chicks because they were picking on the two littlest ones. So they made it out to the brooder where they have some bantam chick friends and these two were given food and water and left in the incubator.

Also the older two would attack the water tube for drinks so I figured it was about time to scoot them out.

I hope she doesn't mind, but here is what she told me to do that worked. I am posting it in case there are others out there with the same issues...

"I have been having issues too. What has been working for me is change something on the preferences and save. (look just under the thread title while on the thread) After doing that, when you type in a response, before you post select preview. If that works then you can post it. If you forget and hit post before preview, you have do start with changing a preference again. I don't know what they did on Thursday but ever since then I have had to do this."

Givin' all the credit to Dsqard! I would never have figured it out by myself. YOU ROCK!

We got this on our last trip to fast food and when the drinks were taken out, I looked at it and thought, " Emu hatching tray,"

I moved 22 chicks to the brooder, opened a pipped egg that had not progressed since yesterday, and found a live chick that just wasn't ready to zip yet. I'll give it and the rest more time.

I pressed my Hovabator forced air into service as an incubator instead of being the designated hatcher it is supposed to be. I used an old still air Hovabator that hatches OK on a dozen or so eggs, but I've never figured out how to keep humidity down once larger batches start hatching. Once the hatch is well underway it jumps to 70/80%, they get sticky/gooey, and can't hatch. I have another 42 eggs going to lock-down tomorrow, so better figure something different out soon.

Gene is "labelled" lavender. Nothing official about genes at this point. LOADS of official "self-blue" birds published in Standards around the world ....
idunno.gif

(remember: I'm grumpy because I still have NO pips .... )
tongue.png

lau.gif
I'm grumpy, too, but I finally have a chick on half-shell and a few other pips.

Where is the LIKE button?

It's the thumbs-up symbol on the bottom of each post, silly!

OMG ! ! ! This one lonely chick is driving me crazy! I swear it has not stopped chirping for a single second!

Does not even help!

This is the time to don a camisole with a 'shelf' in it. Perfect way to keep a singlet happy and still be able to move around and get stuff done. I've been known to sleep in the comfy chair like that for everyone else's sleeping silence...

Works to hatch, too!
lau.gif

OHHHHHHHHH, and did I mention I have 3 broodies sitting? So, they think anyway. Tonight (well, last night) when I locked up the chickens, there were 3 girls on nests. 1 Icelandic, 1 Barred Rock, and 1 New Hampshire. I already have an Icelandic brooding 6 chicks. I think I will open up the broody buster pen. Sheeeesh, PLEASE, not a repeat of last year!

Last night when I closed up my banty Cochins, I only saw 3 roos on the roosts...and looked over in the corner to find a GIANT PILE of burbling, frenzied harpies. The broody-tude won in that pen. I'm hoping it doesn't spread to all of the others! I will be taking advantage of this turn of events and give each of them 8-10 eggs. I need to do some work on my Farmgirl NQB8R. That will buy me time.

Renee I think I just got a blue or black chick from one of the SA eggs.
Just had a really big chick hatch from one of my Brahma eggs. It is all black. I wonder who the daddy is
wink.png
I hope it has feathered shanks
ChestnutRidge, can you get some of that baby parrot food that Renee suggests for your little chick? I am wondering if that would help perk it up some?

Hooray!! Now, start socializing it IMMEDIATELY!!! Lots of handling, as often as you can manage.

Happy to say I have some more pips. I hope things start getting busy in there because I set eggs early in the morning on the 17th and my temps have been crazy!!! I've had the temp up to 104 a few times I guess because it was so hot out. But I'm thankful I have babies making it.

I hope she doesn't mind, but here is what she told me to do that worked. I am posting it in case there are others out there with the same issues...

"I have been having issues too. What has been working for me is change something on the preferences and save. (look just under the thread title while on the thread) After doing that, when you type in a response, before you post select preview. If that works then you can post it. If you forget and hit post before preview, you have do start with changing a preference again. I don't know what they did on Thursday but ever since then I have had to do this."

Givin' all the credit to Dsqard! I would never have figured it out by myself. YOU ROCK!

We got this on our last trip to fast food and when the drinks were taken out, I looked at it and thought, " Emu hatching tray,"

Oh, the dark side has you firmly in its grasp. I snagged a display shelf from behind a retail store because I couldn't resist the shelf hardware...roost attachers!!

What happend to the 'multi' button?? I just used it a minute ago!!

he.gif
pop.gif
he.gif
pop.gif
This is my morning!! I woke up to 3 pips from local eggs tho. 4 hours, no further progress. O, the torture!! In my mind I know that day 21 is still an hour away BUT everyone else has chicks already
hit.gif
and
droolin.gif
. Plus, I had to make a decision about starting lockdown a little early or a little late. Well, a little late turned into 10 hours late due to an excruciating day at work. I was spoiled with hatched chicks half way thru day 19 last hatch. I did lower my incubating temp a fraction of a degree for this hatch to even it out and NOW I"M SORRY! I need chicks now! Especially all the treasures that came in from around the US. Renee, 3 out of 4 blue eggs made it to lockdown and both So. Americans!! I hope I didn't jinx it.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom