Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Also it looks like some of your turkens have the "racing stripes" down their backs. I think that's so funny.

I think I have 8 from you and 2 from my eggs, mostly based on color. Pretty sure the grey one and the yellow one are from my eggs - those are usually the colors I get. The black ones that look like gomez (and there are a bunch of those as you can see) are yours, which is cool since I only have one semi-black turken. :)

Update on my three little pullet eggs that made it to lockdown (none of my others were fertile). All three of the FBCM pullet eggs have hatched! One little one is struggling since she was stuck to the shell (my fault since I didn't know any were pipping and I opened up the bator to add water and to check on them) but she is lively and seems to be gaining strength by the hour!
smile.png

Congrats to everyone with healthy, happy chicks!

Last edited:
Since I had such a bad hatch, a fellow BYC in my area just gave me 11 chicks!! I got a BLACK Ameraucana which is gorgeous!!!! And a favorite. Some white or what ameraucanas, light brahma and dark brahma and a dark faverolle. I'm in chick heaven right now!

Last edited:
Well I have 19 out of 24 that hatched so far with one zipping and one pipped still. I am not home but that's what hubby said. I have been in the Pediatric floor of the hospital all weekend with my 9 year old who was accidently shot with a bb gun. It went through his abdomen, then through the stomach and intestine. He had to have surgery around midnight Fri and he is recovering now and doing good. What a weekend!! Should be here a few more days. My poor boy!
hit.gif

Unbelievable!! I'd heard that the pellet guns sold these days can be pressurized to the point of fatal projectiles, but I'm soooo grateful this wasn't that extreme!!!

Wisher1000, that must be terribly disappointing. Your temps sound a little low to me, so perhaps they are just running a little late. I know lots of us will keep fingers crossed for you!!!!!!!!!
X2.
Totally pulling for you. I think perhaps many of us are really suffering because of the inconsistent temps and humidity levels in our homes this time of year. We had regulated temps with very low humidity (heater running, thermostat at 65-68*) to completely unregulated temps with nothing mitigated, and even worse, HOT days (upper 80s) with high humidity and several thunderstorms so the sway could be 40 degrees in a single day.

I don't know how many of you with problems have had similar conditions, but I'm wishing I had left a bunch in my rcom. What a mess!!

I just had one hatch that had enough extra albumin that it kicked a hole in its yolk and had crusty yellow curdled paste all over it, and it had worked it into a nasty froth in the lower part of the egg. Its yolk had fully absorbed, and it had a perfect belly button, but gross yellow foam all through the egg. I had to bathe it, and it still has some of it in a hardened crust on one wing and its face, but sheesh!! I'm shocked it could live through that!!

Thing is, many of these had PUDDLES of albumin in the shell. They are small chicks, too. Experiment totally went wonky, and I know that just because you CAN hatch 3 week old eggs, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's also quite a horrible ratio of success.

I never added water until yesterday when I had pips, so it wasn't that...just old proteins, I would guess.

I'm sticking to optimal conditions. I'm making more quiche.

I just thought I'd share this with you guys. I was taking Easter pics of my DDs with our two newest ducklings (Ming Ming and Ducklie) and a few 3-4 week old chicks we have. While e-mailing one of the pic to family I noticed something in the background. Ducklie (my autistic daughter's duckling) hopped into her basket and was getting comfy.

I just thought I'd share this with you guys. I was taking Easter pics of my DDs with our two newest ducklings (Ming Ming and Ducklie) and a few 3-4 week old chicks we have. While e-mailing one of the pic to family I noticed something in the background. Ducklie (my autistic daughter's duckling) hopped into her basket and was getting comfy.

This is beyond adorable!

Nightowl -- I am so sorry that you are not seeing anything, either. I thought I saw where you were getting chicks. I guess it was someone else. I hope ours come around soon. How long are you going to give them?
Probably will wait till day 28. I've seen on here that it's possible until then.
idunno.gif
I'll have to keep a watch out for stinkers, though...
sickbyc.gif

So...I HAVE A SERAMA!
yesss.gif
Oh my its sooooo precious. Its so tiny. Since there were no pips or anything I took out the other two LF chicks who were dry and fluffed by that point. The serama is just soooo tiny compared to them. I see nothing from the other serama eggs, so my question is, can it brood with the LF chicks or will they kill this one. And if so...what do I do? I know that people say they are hard to brood. Any advice? Thanks.

Quote:

No offense taken! Thank you!
hugs.gif

I have had those crooked beaks before. Usually Ameraucana or Easter Eggers, but I had one New Hampshire, too.

Mine is an EE too! I wonder why that is.

Back
Top Bottom