Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Silly question. Are we going to be able to see the results of the total number of hatched poll? Usually we can see the results, but for this one poll, I'm not finding it. Is my cataracts acting up too?

Silly question. Are we going to be able to see the results of the total number of hatched poll? Usually we can see the results, but for this one poll, I'm not finding it. Is my cataracts acting up too?

Once the winner has been determined, I imagine we'll share the link. Or maybe NOT!

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

No, no, no, no! NO DUCKS! They are dirty and messy. Like chickens aren't, right? Chicken poop is enough for me. I don't want yukky mud pools to deal with, too.

The emus are growing like crazy! I can not believe how fast they grow. I moved them out into a coop with a large run for now. I still do not have fencing done.

It is your cataracts, yes. Get a good night's sleep and I bet you will be able to view the results tomorrow, when your eyes are all clear and rested.

Quote:

I have no idea why the big space is under my post, but pretty sure the reason you can't see a picture is because I haven't even had time to take one yet.
tongue.png
[Just candled and went to the second lock down since the Easter hatch, and been way too busy running back forth to town picking up things I forgot to buy on the previous trip, one of which is still camera batteries, which I know I have sitting in this house somewhere, waiting to go in the charger. I'm pretty sure the batteries are sitting on top of the list of things I need from town to remind me to add some extra batteries to the list.
he.gif
]

Help with my little chick...

My chick has this huge distended belly and I am wondering what I should do or why it is there. I noticed two days ago when doing my pasty butt check. She was one that I pulled for some cleaning and when I started to clean her I realized that her belly was huge. I was thinking she was backing up but not sure if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas. I hope the picture can show what I mean.

Here another picture of the belly from a different angle.

Does anyone have any help/ideas???

Thanks!

I did have two other chicks day. One I was cleaning it's pasty butt and may have gone too far and got the umbilical cord?? Anyway, seemed fine when I had picked it up to clean but within a few hours was dead. Also, one little silkie I think just got squished amid the 30 chicks huddled in the corner. She was tiny. everyone else seems to be doing OK.

My chick has this huge distended belly and I am wondering what I should do or why it is there. I noticed two days ago when doing my pasty butt check. She was one that I pulled for some cleaning and when I started to clean her I realized that her belly was huge. I was thinking she was backing up but not sure if anyone else has any thoughts or ideas. I hope the picture can show what I mean.

Thanks!

I did have two other chicks day. One I was cleaning it's pasty butt and may have gone too far and got the umbilical cord?? Anyway, seemed fine when I had picked it up to clean but within a few hours was dead. Also, one little silkie I think just got squished amid the 30 chicks huddled in the corner. She was tiny. everyone else seems to be doing OK.

I'm not sure, but I would certainly check to be certain that the vent is clear and not stuck closed, as this can happen rarely w/o external evidence. Aside from that, I can't think of any possibilities.
hugs.gif

I hope that I have been thankful!

Many, Many, Many thanks to all who have helped with this Hatch-A-Long.

Most especially:

LAREE and her many spreadsheets,
SuperChemicalGirl.... she has just helped so much with the day to day, ins and outs.
Kathyinmo..... we never could have done this without her, her help is never ending with so many different aspects!
NotAFarm..... daily updates and SO much more.
The Sheriff.... wise counsel and advise and help with contests..

NIFTY! For whom we are all VERY GRATEFUL for MOST of the Prizes including GFMs.

And then there were all of the others that helped with contests and hatching help...

Special thanks to ChooksChicks for eggs and all of her hatching hints.
java girl 2 and all of her PMing help!

And I'm certain that I'm forgetting someone, but there were so many others who helped.

THANK YOU!!!!

There's a thing called omphalitis, which is essentially an infected belly button.

Merck says "Omphalitis is a condition characterized by infected yolk sacs, often accompanied by unhealed navels in young fowl. It is infectious but noncontagious and associated with excessive humidity and marked contamination of the hatching eggs or incubator". I had one chick with this and the poor thing died no matter what I did. Did you check the belly button area? My chick that had this had a big belly and kind of a sticky navel area. My incubator was clean, but it was probably from one of the eggs.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I hope that I have been thankful!

Many, Many, Many thanks to all who have helped with this Hatch-A-Long.

Most especially:

LAREE and her many spreadsheets,
SuperChemicalGirl.... she has just helped so much with the day to day, ins and outs.
Kathyinmo..... we never could have done this without her, her help is never ending with so many different aspects!
NotAFarm..... daily updates and SO much more.
The Sheriff.... wise counsel and advise and help with contests..

NIFTY! For whom we are all VERY GRATEFUL for MOST of the Prizes including GFMs.

And then there were all of the others that helped with contests and hatching help...

Special thanks to ChooksChicks for eggs and all of her hatching hints.
java girl 2 and all of her PMing help!

And I'm certain that I'm forgetting someone, but there were so many others who helped.

THANK YOU!!!!

This annual hatch-along would never be the same without YOU! ! !
I thank YOU for starting this, and continuing it! It is just super great fun! Every year gets better and better, doesn't it?! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
bow.gif
You are the BEST, Dar! We love ya!

Back
Top Bottom