Maine

Pics
Hi. I'm from Gorham Maine, neighbor and I did insulate the coop. I had a thermometer in it and it usually registered 10 degrees warmer than the outdoors. It's a 6x6 pitched roof. Actually I got it from Shed Happens in Windham. My husband custamized it for chickens with roosts and nest boxes etc. I have 12 hens and 1 rooster. Merry

I still have a female or two you can take. Free. I am butchering all the boys.

I have to say something that will probably be too blunt for most of you but here goes anyway: chickens evolved a long time ago to be what they are and we messed with it some along the way. Dogs bark, cows moo and chickens cluck and crow. If you don't want a bird that crows don't get a rooster or don't keep the ones you have. Rather than train or torture or kill them to suit yourselves, realize that they don't crow all that often and its for a reason. Having chickens means having chickens not two legged cats. I know, how insensitive of me, but really folks, you have chickens no matter how fancy they are or how you dress or house them.
I agree. I saw on the news yesterday that in Cape Elizabeth some are complaining about a rooster in the neighborhood. They claim the crowing is causing problems with their childrens sleep. The town says there is nothing they can do since roosters are allowed. Really people? For centuries humans have kept chickens with a few roosters thrown in for good measure. And there were such things as farms. And guess what? Farmers had kids. And those kids had to get up to help with chores long before the sun came up. So do not tell me that a rooster crowing causes health issues with your kids.

I also had a 'pet' crow a few years ago. I work at a vet clinic, and someone brought him in as an abandoned baby bird. I hand reared him, and when it was time to release him, he never left! He lived outside, but was always hanging out with us. He went on four wheeler rides (sat on the handle bars), played with the dogs, went for walks with us (usually getting lazy and just riding on our shoulder or head). He would try to sneak in the house any chance he got. He migrated south for winter and came back in the spring, a little more 'wild', but still loved to hang out with us. He could also say "hello". I ended up bringing him down to a wildlife center as the other crows on our property were beating him up, and I was afraid they were going to kill him.
He was truly a joy, SO smart. I miss him to pieces!

Tug o' war with my dog

My DH and Cawrl

On a walk with my son and the dogs

Posing on my head

He LOVED cuddles and would make a 'purring' sound when you cuddled/pet him.

We have 2 kinds of pears, "Luscious" and "Stacyville". Stacyville is a monster. We were never successful growing fruit here, so when we planted it, we weren't expecting much. A couple years ago, we chopped off the whole top, as it was shading our garden. Last year, we had 450 pounds of pears (from just 2 trees!).

Hello Maine people.

Question for you: thinking about retiring to Maine...but am hearing horror stories about the bugs. Don’t mind the cold, hate summer heat. Have chickens and horses. What’s the scoop? Do you mind??
BUGS, are everywhere. We have a short season on black flies, they are a pain, but it's over quick, mosquitos depending on where you hang out like on the water fishing. By the ocean there are large look like housefly they called greenheads they bite they also called horse flies they're not by the ocean but usually there around some sort of water. There are most definitely text if you have hunting dogs or you go out and do any deer bear rabbit bird hunting you will more than likely get ticks on you and so will your dogs. I've lived here all my 43 years and I've been places where the bugs are ridiculous and I don't feel like they're too too bad around here maybe because I'm used to it or maybe because they're just really not that prevalent.

Hi! I might be interested. Can I pick up only a few, or do you want the person to take all 50? And what will you do with them if no one takes them?

Hi! I know it's maybe a long shot, but I would rather off-load all of them at once. I'm not sure what I will do with them if I can't find someone. Most likely cull them and keep the breasts and thighs for dog food so I don't have to eviscerate - compost the rest. Sorry if that's a little brazen. My business partners are pushing me to get rid of them so we can make more profit from the laying flock since they are most likely not laying enough to make it worth it to feed them organic feed. We are preparing to go through the organic certification process so we can't feed out anything but organic.

Back
Top Bottom