Maintenance preventative measures you do

Whole run coop I turned the underneath the trampoline into an extended run. I like it it's covered prom hawks, somewhat covered from light rain, and saves space. The deer guard I use for protection overhead. I need a better way to secure it but it works great. The middle run is where they hang out alot scratching around the covered area is where the food and water is. Also, it is full of sand and powder for dust bathing they normally dust in that area. Coop has 4 roost bars 4 nest boxes. I use pine in winter when it's cold and sand in summer when it's hot. I can easily fit 2 more hens. That's about it. When I bought the coop they said up to 12 but there's no way. 6 max. The rooster is gonna go soon. He is keepin my pullet company until she can join the flock at end of jan. I love my rooster. Too bad I can't keep him. You know what's funny the lead hen chases him off when he is out lol he knows she is boss lol. That is a mino.coop I have incase injury, broody breaker on the side which I have used twice. And coop is good for new pullets before adding to the flock.

Hard to tell by the picture. It wouldn't hurt to put a little oil on them if you want.

Looks like you have a nice set up. With a lot of rain, it is hard for them to dust bath, but it does look like you have some dry areas.

Thanks for the pics. Keep us updated on the cocci. Since you are treating them, it should go away fairly quickly.

You could also try adding wood ash to their dust bathing spots. If you have a fire pit where you burn wood or maybe someone you know does, you can gather the ash from there. If you suspect they have mites (I don't know how well it works on SLM though) you can actually rub it directly on them. It will basically smother any of the pests in their feathers.
I think oil, or something that would stick around a bit longer, would be better for SLM, since the ash would probably get rubbed off their legs fairly quickly.

I agree that giving them baths with soap probably isn't a good idea. And I think that it is possible to be too clean. As already mentioned, they have oils that they need for their feather condition but also there are beneficial bacteria on their skin as well as in their intestinal tract. When you start washing all that away, and giving antibiotics and whatnot, it throws everything out of balance. A deep litter system which, if done correctly, will encourage good bacteria to reproduce.

Are you able to move the run at all? Or maybe set up a rotating pasture situation? If any kind of livestock is stuck in one area, even if it is a large area, their chances of parasites increase dramatically. Free ranging helps eliminate that issue but I understand it's not realistic for a lot of people. Pasture rotation is a close second...

As far as preventing bumblefoot, I think making sure there is nothing that will hurt their feet in the first place is a good start. I'm dealing with it now and it's tough because the previous owner of our house left nails everywhere and other metal stuff that was allowed to rust down to tiny pieces. But there are any number of things that could hurt their feet, roosts with splinters, nails, sharp rocks, etc. I have stopped obsessing over this a bit and over time the problem does seem to be improving. I was giving one of my girls surgery every couple weeks, soaking her feet and rewrapping bandages every couple days. Finally I just let it run it's course and it healed the rest of the way on it's own. I just had another girl with it who I just soaked her feet, removed the scab and the kernel came with it. Wrapped her feet for a couple days and now I'm just going to let it be for a couple more weeks and check on it. Sometimes doing less is better, as long as you can find a balance...

Back
Top Bottom