making cloth reusable menstrual pads

Sorry to hear about your mom!

Yay! the thread is back!

someone posted about a year ago about riding horses...I haven't ridden a horse wearing one, but do ride my bike all the time with one on. Can't even feel it. When I used to ride horses I would get chafed from the disposable pad.

Ok. So I just read this whole thread and I think I am gonna give it a try. I hate disposable pads. They make me raw every single month no matter which brand I try. I think I have tried them all over the years.

Ok. So I just read this whole thread and I think I am gonna give it a try. I hate disposable pads. They make me raw every single month no matter which brand I try. I think I have tried them all over the years.

I don't think you'll regret it Tonya. I switched a couple of years ago and wish I'd done it sooner than that.

I don't think you'll regret it Tonya. I switched a couple of years ago and wish I'd done it sooner than that.

I hope not. Do they breathe? I am assuming they do. How many do you use for an average cycle? I have a short cycle, only 4-5 days. I just ordered one set of 12 for now until I see how well they work. I am so tired of the irritation/reaction I get from pads and tampons.

OMG, why has this never occured to me?! I cloth diaper... duh!

I'm sure it's been questioned, but said baby is demanding to bang on the keyboard...

mine goes from crazy heavy (think post partum- no joke) to very light... are there different sizes, or just change more often?

I hope not. Do they breathe? I am assuming they do. How many do you use for an average cycle? I have a short cycle, only 4-5 days. I just ordered one set of 12 for now until I see how well they work. I am so tired of the irritation/reaction I get from pads and tampons.

That should be plenty. Oh wait - I forgot to mention I use them in conjunction with a reusable cup, so I am mostly using the "panti-liner" size. I have 3 full-size pads for heavier days or nights. The rest of the time I just use the panti-liners along with the cup. The nice thing is that if you are running low, you can just do a load of laundry and replenish the stack. I think I have 6 pantiliners and the 3 full-size pads, and so far that is all I've needed.

As for breathing - yes! Actually, there is far less odor with cloth than with the disposables. I find them more comfortable too.

Last edited:
That should be plenty. Oh wait - I forgot to mention I use them in conjunction with a reusable cup, so I am mostly using the "panti-liner" size. I have 3 full-size pads for heavier days or nights. The rest of the time I just use the panti-liners along with the cup. The nice thing is that if you are running low, you can just do a load of laundry and replenish the stack. I think I have 6 pantiliners and the 3 full-size pads, and so far that is all I've needed.

As for breathing - yes! Actually, there is far less odor with cloth than with the disposables. I find them more comfortable too.

I am getting excited about trying these! The set came with 4 panty liner size, 4 thin maxi, and 4 regular maxi. I figured that will work since I can just wash them if I run out. Too bad that I will have to wait until next month to try them. I have seen those cups online. What brand do you have? Was there a reason you went with that one over another? That might be something I try if I don't like these. I am not sure how I would get it out without spilling it though, which would kinda defeat the purpose.

I change mine about 3 times a day for heavy days, these are pretty much a starter set so if you need more let me know.

that order will be in the mail tomorrow.

thank you for ordering!

I have seen those cups online. What brand do you have? Was there a reason you went with that one over another?

I use "Instead", which I buy at the local Walgreens, and Dillons also carries them. I first saw them about 10 years ago, before I had heard there were any other brands. It was a totally new concept for me and I had to try them. They come in a box of about a dozen for $6-7. The recommendation on these is to use them for 12 hours and dispose of them, much like a tampon. However over the years I discovered that I could reuse them over and over again, just like the more expensive brands. I started by using one for the whole period and then disposing of it, so a box would last me about a year. Then DH suggested "why not just reuse it the next month?" so I did. It has been several years since I last bought a box, as now I reuse one cup for several months.

As for spillage...I just remove and empty over the toilet bowl, so any spillage goes where I want it to. Then I rinse it out and reinsert. Before I discovered cloth pads, I used a disposable pantiliner just in case. Once I switched to cloth, I continued to use the pantiliner, (or pad for heavy nights) so for me the cloth pad is more of a back up for when the cup gets full.

Back
Top Bottom