Male Embden Geese mating?

BlackwaterBirds

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Southwest Va
I bought six geese from a hatchery as straight run. I ended up with what I thought was 3 males and 2 females. I have been watching them lately and what I thought were breeding pairs are not. Instead the commotion that erupted from the pond was the two males mating or what I thought was two males....so confused! I think they are too!
ep.gif

Sorry for such a dumb question I just reread the title
th.gif

How long has that pair been together? If they've bonded then they might not want to accept another mate.

I bought six geese from a hatchery as straight run. I ended up with what I thought was 3 males and 2 females. I have been watching them lately and what I thought were breeding pairs are not. Instead the commotion that erupted from the pond was the two males mating or what I thought was two males....so confused! I think they are too!
ep.gif
I doubt very seriously if you have females the males would be mating with each other,Ganders and geese will sometimes act out the mating ritual with their own sex, I see it here with my ducks, I have a mated pair of geese but i have seen my goose get on top of a duck. When my Embden actually mates with his goose he lets out a holler that most of the county can probably hear, and i think this is pretty typical of the Embdens did you see that. and is this their first year for mating?

I am so glad you asked this question! I just saw 2 of my pilgrim males mating in the bath tub!!!, and they definitely have girls in the flock to choose from. (We just got them and have them all together in our hoophouse.) Due to a foot of snow still, we've not set up separate pens for pairing/trio-ing up our geese, and I was wondering the same thing- if I have seen ganders "mating" are they also mating with the geese, or are they bonded and paired?

I am so glad you asked this question! I just saw 2 of my pilgrim males mating in the bath tub!!!, and they definitely have girls in the flock to choose from. (We just got them and have them all together in our hoophouse.) Due to a foot of snow still, we've not set up separate pens for pairing/trio-ing up our geese, and I was wondering the same thing- if I have seen ganders "mating" are they also mating with the geese, or are they bonded and paired?

They could still be mating with the female geese too. What you saw could have been a dominance thing. Or, sometimes they just mate with whoever is closest & lets them.

If you definitely want goslings, you should set up separate pens with the pairs you want mated. Contrary to belief not all geese are bonded for life - just for the season (if that).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom