Male grew 3g in 1week (4th - 5th)

MrJudeRaw

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
PNW Willamette region WA
My guess is since he started crowing last week he's been busy doing other things...
All the other birds he is with I am fairly sure are hens and have all grown 35-40g in the last week. I have separated them but not entirely sure that is going to help him eat more because now he is spending all of his time crowing for the hens. no visible signs of sickness or injury and he is very lively and always putting himself between me and the hens. I do not ration their food/water aside from giving them nipple drinkers which is sorta a form of rationing. so there is always some for him. Anyone else have this happen? should I be looking harder for illness?
For record he went from 195g to 198g. well below most standards of plateau from what i can find

if it matters he is a Ce hatched Tux

Hmmm... I never weighed my birds more than to dose medicine, but I would imagine that growing at different rates is a normal thing. If it is a continuing trend, that would alarm me.

Hmmm... I never weighed my birds more than to dose medicine, but I would imagine that growing at different rates is a normal thing. If it is a continuing trend, that would alarm me.
its just very sudden, he went from the top% to the absolute smallest. even given the small size differences they all still grew at roughly the same rates until this last week. for these birds i did a 24h,3d,5d,7d,11d,14d,+1+1+1wk etc

Hard for me to say if that is normal or not, I just figured they would end up whatever size they did. Do you see him eating at mealtime? Are his droppings looking healthy? I would see what happens next week to see if he was just waiting to do another spurt. How old is he, btw? Do you think he is just plateauing in his growth because he is almost full grown?

My guess is since he started crowing last week he's been busy doing other things...
All the other birds he is with I am fairly sure are hens and have all grown 35-40g in the last week. I have separated them but not entirely sure that is going to help him eat more because now he is spending all of his time crowing for the hens. no visible signs of sickness or injury and he is very lively and always putting himself between me and the hens. I do not ration their food/water aside from giving them nipple drinkers which is sorta a form of rationing. so there is always some for him. Anyone else have this happen? should I be looking harder for illness?
For record he went from 195g to 198g. well below most standards of plateau from what i can find

if it matters he is a Ce hatched Tux
It could be because Roos are smaller than the hens.

Hard for me to say if that is normal or not, I just figured they would end up whatever size they did. Do you see him eating at mealtime? Are his droppings looking healthy? I would see what happens next week to see if he was just waiting to do another spurt. How old is he, btw? Do you think he is just plateauing in his growth because he is almost full grown?
They have food 24/7, i never let them see the bottom of their container. would you say 198grams is full grown? barely 7oz. Purina game bird chow 30% protein chick crumbles (say that 5 times fast).

Back
Top Bottom