lolobearleo

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read, I hope all is well for you and yours!

Our Dark Brahma rooster, Vegeta, is about 10 months old now. He has been crowing for several months but has always made some other weird noises too (almost like sneezing… it’s hard to describe, like a TCH! squeak).

A little over a week ago now he can’t crow anymore. He still makes his little sneezy type sounds but they’re much much quieter and seemingly more frequent. He tries to crow and no sound comes out, just the sound of the breath.

Couple things to note:

-One of the last times I heard him crow I was collecting eggs and he started to crow bloody murder, and much more high pitched than his usual crow. Maybe he strained something?
-None of our hens are showing any problems. We isolated him for 3 days to be safe but no other symptoms have come up that we can tell. We also did VetRX orally during this time for him nightly and put some in his water.
-This more may be from isolating him for a few days but he’s usually a bit more confident and not aggressive persay but definitely checks you in the pecking order. Since this he’s been really standoffish but in a sullen kind of way… maybe I’m reading into it too much.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated! We don’t want to take him to a vet ideally. Any ideas as to what happened, how to fix it, etc.

Thanks again community ❤️!

Can you get a video of the noise he does make? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Look inside his beak to see if there's any canker, lesions or white/yellow pasty material.

Check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

Do you have any other roosters?
Have you added any new birds recently?

Can you get a video of the noise he does make? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Look inside his beak to see if there's any canker, lesions or white/yellow pasty material.

Check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight.

Do you have any other roosters?
Have you added any new birds recently?
Hi there! Thank you so much for replying!

Of course the day after I posted this he started to make a little noise again! As of this morning he seems to be improving. Let me know if you’d still like a video of his current sound.

No other roosters, and no new birds recently.

I'm glad he's doing better.

I'd still check his crop to make sure it's emptying, look inside the beak and give him a going over for lice/mites, etc.

Video can be helpful, if you wish, you can post it. Or at least try to record it for your own use so you can do some comparison of the noises he makes and the timeline.

I'm glad he's doing better.

I'd still check his crop to make sure it's emptying, look inside the beak and give him a going over for lice/mites, etc.

Video can be helpful, if you wish, you can post it. Or at least try to record it for your own use so you can do some comparison of the noises he makes and the timeline.
Hey there!

Following up, thank you so much for your help. It’s been a busy couple weeks.

He’s been very standoffish since this whole thing started and I haven’t gotten to pick him up yet. My husband and I are going to take time Friday before they get any breakfast to check his crop and look him over per your instructions.

I managed to get a video of the sound he is making now but for some reason I can’t get it to upload on YouTube :/. I made up a quick instagram account and uploaded to their and am attempting to attach that link here. Hopefully it works!

I was really hoping this would’ve resolved more by now :( I feel bad he’s still having a hard time.

Hey there!

Following up, thank you so much for your help. It’s been a busy couple weeks.

He’s been very standoffish since this whole thing started and I haven’t gotten to pick him up yet. My husband and I are going to take time Friday before they get any breakfast to check his crop and look him over per your instructions.

I managed to get a video of the sound he is making now but for some reason I can’t get it to upload on YouTube :/. I made up a quick instagram account and uploaded to their and am attempting to attach that link here. Hopefully it works!

I was really hoping this would’ve resolved more by now :( I feel bad he’s still having a hard time.

Poor guy!

Yeah, I'd check him over really well. Feel around on his body for anything that feels like an air pocket under the skin just to be sure he doesn't have a ruptured air sac. See the diagram below for the location of the 9 air sacs.

1687316488200.png

Any update on your guy? I just came across this post and his open-mouth breathing/sneezing could be some sort of respiratory disease. Is the bedding in your coop dusty? Dirty? Do you use DE in the coop bedding?

Vet Rx has helped my birds with respiratory stuff before.

Any update on your guy? I just came across this post and his open-mouth breathing/sneezing could be some sort of respiratory disease. Is the bedding in your coop dusty? Dirty? Do you use DE in the coop bedding?

Vet Rx has helped my birds with respiratory stuff before.
Hey there! We took him to the vet a few months back and he got antibiotics for a respiratory infection and it didn’t seem to do anything. I think that there may have been something stuck in his nose and he was breathing through his mouth and with the dry warm summer air I think it was drying everything out. Once the weather started to cool and get humid it began to come back some. That being said he had been aggressive before his crow got messed up and as it came back that behavior returned. We have a bunch of cockerels so made the decision to cull him. Rest well sweet boy ❤️.

Hey there! We took him to the vet a few months back and he got antibiotics for a respiratory infection and it didn’t seem to do anything. I think that there may have been something stuck in his nose and he was breathing through his mouth and with the dry warm summer air I think it was drying everything out. Once the weather started to cool and get humid it began to come back some. That being said he had been aggressive before his crow got messed up and as it came back that behavior returned. We have a bunch of cockerels so made the decision to cull him. Rest well sweet boy ❤️.
Oh and the coop we keep it clean and use DE. None of the other birds had a problem, so again think there may have been something stuck in his nose. :(

Back
Top Bottom