Male or Female Chick?

She said this chick's comb was a darker pink color than girl chicks this age tend to have. It was early to tell, but she was nearly certain he was male. Hens tend to have peachier looking combs at this age, but this chick's was more red in hue-- indicative of a male.

The dad is the rooster in my Avatar-- Golden with blue hackles, wings and tails.  The mother was Barred Rock.  The chick was dark with a blonde spot on the back of its head. The mother was Barred Rock and the Papa is thought to be part Orpington part Amerracauna or Easter Egger.  She was a beautiful chick.  It is thought she may have been crushed to death on her nest by a Jersey Giant broody who weighs 15 pounds.  That's why I am hoping she was a he.  It would have been so hard to rehome such a beautiful chick.
What the heck??

the chick was male. The non-barred rooster over a barred hen gave sex link chicks. Any barred chicks from that cross (including the chick in question) would be male, any non-barred chicks would be female.

Got 9 straight run chicks 1 wk old from a local breeder 4 weeks ago. They are split between Black Australorp and Aus x Lavender Orp. I think we lucked out and got 8 pullets and 1 cockerel. the first 3 pics are the suspected male, # 4 is typical of the other 8 and the last is a group shot with Mr? out front. He? seems to be the leader of the pack much of the time and does more strutting than anyone else. Opinions please.

Back
Top Bottom