Male or female Cuckoo Maran?

HansenMamaOf2

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2016

I know Cuckoo Maran have red combs and waddles, but everytime I look up a 5 week old one I don't see it yet. Ours has had one for a while now though. Does this look like it might really be a rooster after all?

Last edited:
I want a cockerel Cuckoo Marans.... I just bought 2 chicks sexed pullets Cuckoo Marans and 2 sexed pullets BCMs, but I was hoping that 1 of them would turn out to be that 0.1% chance of Cockerel! They are so pretty plus I would really love to hatch out some babies!

I want a cockerel Cuckoo Marans.... I just bought 2 chicks sexed pullets Cuckoo Marans and 2 sexed pullets BCMs, but I was hoping that 1 of them would turn out to be that 0.1% chance of Cockerel! They are so pretty plus I would really love to hatch out some babies!

This one was sexed and we only got 2. Apparently they were wrong. We live in a housing community that doesn't even allow chickens so he is going to be going to a new home :-(

Last edited:
I also have a question about my 4-5 week old suspected cuckoo marans cross. I'm calling it a "she"; she is very calm and likes to cuddle, not aggressive towards the other birds, always roosts the highest up, LOVES to dust bathe. Any thoughts? I have some other marans cross chicks that don't have the cuckoo markings that have a slight appearance of red wattles at this point, but she doesn't. Thanks!

WOAH!! definitely a rooster, those bright red combs and wattles were the very first thing I saw.. he sure is an early developer!

I also have a question about my 4-5 week old suspected cuckoo marans cross. I'm calling it a "she"; she is very calm and likes to cuddle, not aggressive towards the other birds, always roosts the highest up, LOVES to dust bathe. Any thoughts? I have some other marans cross chicks that don't have the cuckoo markings that have a slight appearance of red wattles at this point, but she doesn't. Thanks!

Not positive but I think you have a pullet

Back
Top Bottom