Male or female Silkie? Please help 24 weeks old.

Thanks everyone. I have another here and im hoping its a female. Any thoughts?

We aren't meant to have roosters where we live but we have a silkie roo who barely crows and is no louder or annoying than the neighbours dogs. He may not give you eggs but they can be beautiful birds.

That black one looks like a hen to me but I'm still a novice at this byc keeping thing too.

Last edited:
Well the splash is most definitely a rooster :(....

How old on the black one? It looks pullet, but the tail and streamers are concerning... If its older than 3 months, it is most likely pullet; no roo comb and tiny wattles, versus the splash.

It's almost impossible to sex silkies until they crow or lay an egg, but after a bit, you'll notice a personality difference; females keep themselves tucked up in a poofy ball, and males puff up, especially their tails... Look for thicker, barbed feathers coming from the top of the head; these are "streamers"... Looks like a spiky mohawk that leans backwards lol... Look for the same feathers in the tail. hackles feathers, the ones around the neck, will also be longer, males literally look like they have a mullet sometimes :D

Combs and wattles are smaller on females, and most likely stay black, where males will turn red; male combs and wattles can appear as early as at hatch for both, but usually the males show way sooner ;)

Slow feathering is usually a male, so if its still bald by 3 months, its likely a roo..

Those are key points in silkie sexing lol..

And when in doubt, wait for the crow lol ;)

Last edited:
A rooster? Im hoping not :) the only thing i notice compared to the other roosters is that he's got a very tiny crest.

Hi Shortgrass. The black one is 24 weeks now and i cant see a crest on the top of her heard like the others. Would you say it was female?

Your splash looks just like my 6 month old cockerel, the streamers (mohawk) on the head are a dead giveaway, the lady who gave us our roo told us that our boy had never crowed (still doesn't) but he is definitely all boy. The black one looks more like a pullet but then again I'm new to silkies and my only experience is with my one roo. Hopefully she's a girl.

Back
Top Bottom