Mallard flew away

Accidentally Ducked

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
I have four hand raised mallards, two males and two females. They are six months old. Yesterday, the gate to their duck pen was left open and they took off. One of the males circled around and came back. The other three did not. We went looking all over for them. I thought they would stay together, but they did not. One female was found in a pond about 1/8 mile away, and one was found on a street also about an 1/8 mile away in another direction. We cannot find the male. We have looked in all ponds and streams in 1/8-1/2 mile in the direction they flew. What is the likelihood that the male will come back? He was at the bottom of the pecking order and picked on a little bit by the females. We love him and are devastated that he is gone.

I have four hand raised mallards, two males and two females. They are six months old. Yesterday, the gate to their duck pen was left open and they took off. One of the males circled around and came back. The other three did not. We went looking all over for them. I thought they would stay together, but they did not. One female was found in a pond about 1/8 mile away, and one was found on a street also about an 1/8 mile away in another direction. We cannot find the male. We have looked in all ponds and streams in 1/8-1/2 mile in the direction they flew. What is the likelihood that the male will come back? He was at the bottom of the pecking order and picked on a little bit by the females. We love him and are devastated that he is gone.
I have raised Mallards before and sold them. My 4 males that I sold all flew away for their new owners and never returned. I clip mines wings to keep them here. They were supposed to come to me pinioned but the hatchery forgot to do it. I was not happy with that. I have two that can fly now but stick around because my male is clipped and cannot leave with him. Good luck on getting yours back. I pinioned my baby muscovy ducks when I got them myself out of desperation to keep from losing them. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom