MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Bella was about five months old before she layed her first egg, I think. She's layed consistently ever since. Seems like the last ducklings I had were fully feathered by about six weeks, maybe seven. They had adult feathers with some "peach fuzz" that hung on for a while. They are about ten weeks now and have very smooth, slick adult feathers.

how old was your mallard hen when she laid...we have 3 i think 1 is a drake and the other to are hens...when do they fully feather?? an when do the drakes get their green head an all....thanks so much for any info that you could give me....

These are some of the same questions I have. We have 6 mallards altogether. I am thinking that at least 4 of them are female because of their quacks.

Also my other question is, when will the drakes develop their 'drake tail' and is it the same age for all duck? We also have 4 Pekin ducks

Mrs. Duck is laying! Three eggs as of today! Mr. Duck is shedding copious amounts of feathers around the nest. which Mrs. refuses to get off of. Eggs are a cream color with light splotches. Normal? Also, how many eggs are in a typical mallard clutch? Will anything change (like number of eggs or incubation time) since the ducks are half call?

KADA! Omg I know you. >D

Here is my female Mallard duckling, Pyrrhos, with her "siblings" who are Welsh Harlequins:

And here she is by herself:

She's my little model, haha. :) I LOVE Pyrrhos so much. I originally tried to be detached because I was going to release her(she's wild-born, not domestic) but I think she ended up imprinting on me, so.... Well, she's mine now. >D As soon as she sees me bring out the camera, she puffs up, stretches out, sits and stares at the lense, and just in general seems like she's posing. She is also surprisingly gentle with the babies. :) They all really look up to her. I REALLY hope Pyrrhos does turn out to be a female, because I would hate to have to get rid of any of the WH's. I've been debating on what would happen if Pyrrhos ends up being a drake, and, even though I love Welsh Harlequins sososososososo much, I would sell those males before I sold Pyrrhos. OR, I could just buy more females. XD (HAHA yeah right, my grandparents would have NONE of that.)

So glad you found this thread :) There are a lot of helpful people here at BYC :) Love seeing all the pictures of your babies!
KADA! Omg I know you. >D

Here is my female Mallard duckling, Pyrrhos, with her "siblings" who are Welsh Harlequins:

And here she is by herself:

She's my little model, haha. :) I LOVE Pyrrhos so much. I originally tried to be detached because I was going to release her(she's wild-born, not domestic) but I think she ended up imprinting on me, so.... Well, she's mine now. >D As soon as she sees me bring out the camera, she puffs up, stretches out, sits and stares at the lense, and just in general seems like she's posing. She is also surprisingly gentle with the babies. :) They all really look up to her. I REALLY hope Pyrrhos does turn out to be a female, because I would hate to have to get rid of any of the WH's. I've been debating on what would happen if Pyrrhos ends up being a drake, and, even though I love Welsh Harlequins sososososososo much, I would sell those males before I sold Pyrrhos. OR, I could just buy more females. XD (HAHA yeah right, my grandparents would have NONE of that.)

how old was your mallard hen when she laid...we have 3 i think 1 is a drake and the other to are hens...when do they fully feather?? an when do the drakes get their green head an all....thanks so much for any info that you could give me....

My mallards started laying at 6 months, almost exactly. They were fully feathered at 2 months. I have white mallards, so I can't help you with green head question. I also clipped their wings. Do you plan on free ranging them? And post some pictures!! We love those.

Back
Top Bottom