MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
Wowwww I've been gone so long! I went to Edna to see my grandma-in-law. She lives on a farm and it was amazing to see what I get to look forward to when my partner and I(along with the ducklings and my dog) move to our own farm.

The ducklings are sooo big! I'll post pictures soon. :)

I'm pretty sure Pyrrhos is female, but she doesn't quack. She's quieter than my Welsh Harlequins haha. I had to clip her wings when I left for Edna. She was 7 weeks old then. She's still sort of flying so it didn't mess her up. I just didn't want her flying over the neighbor's fence. She's still pretty small, but she's always looked comparatively small to other Mallards, so I do think she was the runt. Either way, she eats a lot and seems really happy. She's just so much smaller than the others, it worries me sometimes. They don't trample her, thankfully.

Last edited:
Wowwww I've been gone so long! I went to Edna to see my grandma-in-law. She lives on a farm and it was amazing to see what I get to look forward to when my partner and I(along with the ducklings and my dog) move to our own farm.

The ducklings are sooo big! I'll post pictures soon. :)

I'm pretty sure Pyrrhos is female, but she doesn't quack. She's quieter than my Welsh Harlequins haha. I had to clip her wings when I left for Edna. She was 7 weeks old then. She's still sort of flying so it didn't mess her up. I just didn't want her flying over the neighbor's fence. She's still pretty small, but she's always looked comparatively small to other Mallards, so I do think she was the runt. Either way, she eats a lot and seems really happy. She's just so much smaller than the others, it worries me sometimes. They don't trample her, thankfully.

Glad to hear your babies are doing well, Zombified!!
smile.png
That's great! I was wondering where you were. I'm happy to see you back.

I'm pretty sure my Peepers is a drake! There's a definite difference between the color of his feet and the color of his bill (orange feet, yellow bill). He's quieter than my Swedes - I rarely ever hear him make any noise. And his formerly beautiful dark brown/light brown edged feathers are turning to a brownish-gray, more solid color with no light edges. I still haven't clipped his flight wing. But, I don't know if I could even hold him anymore to do it. He wants NOTHING to do with me. I had to pick him up to get him into the cage for the night last night because he wasn't going on his own. He threw a FIT like he was petrified of me.
sad.png
I get more affection from the Swedes and it used to be the opposite when they were little.

So, now I have 2 drakes and 1 duck and I'm thinking I need another female to even out the score. But, they already need more space. We are in the process of getting their more open space done in the yard. We have a 'pool' sunken into the ground. We just need to fence off an area around it and take part of their house apart (the cage part - we're going to disassemble part of the cage and leave the rest as is with the 'house' fully intact as their safe place).

Pyrrhos still has all her brown feathers. I'll get back to you on her beak. It's still the same color as before.

According to other Mallard owners, they naturally seem to fear people. Plus, both Pyrrhos and Peepers were found as wild babies, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Pyrrhos will run away from me too, but once I catch her she's okay. She was shaking when I clipped her wings, so I don't think I'll be doing thay again. Besides, she's still flying, and not flying away, so even if she's afraid of us, she still must see this as her home. If Peepers isn't leaving, I wouldn't worry about clipping his wings unless you're really concerned. I wouldn't have clipped Pyrrhos's wings, except for the fact that I didn't want her to fly over the fence into my neighbor's yard.

I'm working on extending their yard, but first we have to agree on a length lol. And tell my dad to stop trying to build stuff into their area. He wants to turn it into a little theatre and I'm like... No. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom