MALLARD THREAD...not rouens, Mallards!

Pics
just found this thread and read through it :) I just got some khaki/mallard crosses. mom was khaki dad was mallard. they were hatched out this spring. i'm hoping they will start laying! i'm wanting for eggs and meat so hoping they take after the khaki more than the mallard.
there is six total. right now i'm trying to listen to tell who is duck or drake. the drakes will be butchered but I will be keeping the ducks and watching for a nice drake khaki or pekin or runner.

will get pics soon.
does anyone know other then listening to them how I might be able to tell genders? none have drake tail curl I don't think /: but definitely some quack and some whisper-quack

We have a an array of looks. We have one that was beautiful as a young duckling and now that the feathers are coming in she is starting to lose all the mallard markings and looks like the khaki. I will post some pictures of her soon. But I currently have pictures of some males that are up for sale. I do not know if they are approx the same age as yours, but I will post them below.

our goat was trying to help get the duckling to sit still, isn't that sweet. Cannot remember if this is one of the mixes.

I have two wild mallards that I am proud to call my friends. For the past four years they have been generous enough to let me witness the births and raising of the ducklings without warnings. Both are very generous ducks that welcome anyone to their ponds and are happy to show their ducklings to them.

Meet Becky. The youngest of the two momma mallards and the toughest. She is an almost over protective mom that tried to drown a red tail hawk that swooped down trying to grab one of her ducklings. Becky had five ducklings this year and her final child just flew away. Her husband Ace just joined her this week and they are happy together in her pond awaiting the signals for migration.

Meet Mayela. She's a diva. When you visit her pond you'd know she's the boss. Mayela had only two ducklings this year and had them much later than she normally does. She gave birth in July instead of May and, well, has been not been all that protective of her ducklings. She seems a little tired this year (taking frequent naps) and I think it's because she's getting up there in age. She is the duck that when I visit her and I am depressed she knows immediately and quacks me to "snap out of it"...sometimes wanting me to pay attention just like one of her ducklings. She ALWAYS greets me with a quack when I visit her pond and I tell her "good morning" back. Luis, her husband is one of the most respectful and gentlemanly mallards in the area and tried to help raise the newborns this year, but Mayela head butted him and threw him out of the pond. He has been waiting out the duckling growing up process with Ace and Christina's (new momma mallard to the area) husband, Brian, at a pond about a half a block away. The ducklings just grew their flight feathers last week and neither have left her yet.
your pics are beautiful and the ponds look lovely. nice to have one close by so you can get so personal with the water fowl.

There is no other color on the mallard except for the blue tips on the wings....makes me think it's a she. I'll try to get a front pic of muscovy, As long as they aren't 2 males I'm OK right???
2 males are fine as long as there are no females. quite a few members have all drake flocks.

We have a an array of looks. We have one that was beautiful as a young duckling and now that the feathers are coming in she is starting to lose all the mallard markings and looks like the khaki. I will post some pictures of her soon. But I currently have pictures of some males that are up for sale. I do not know if they are approx the same age as yours, but I will post them below.

our goat was trying to help get the duckling to sit still, isn't that sweet. Cannot remember if this is one of the mixes.
I love the pic of the goat and the duck, looks like the duck went "Whoa." Did you post on the buy sell trade thread for your drakes?

She looks similar to zombified's Mallards, does she have blue on her wings?
She does look a lot like Pyrrhos, actually.

Johari, do you have any other pictures? Some from the sides and the front?

Mothergooz, those two Mallards are sooo pretty! :) I really like how you notice all the little things about them. Becky really almost drowned a hawk?! Wow! That's pretty brave and protective. I wonder if that kind of personality is genetic? If so, it would be interesting to see how well ducks could flourish if they nearly drowned hawks anytime they swooped down. I know my own ducks are pretty jumpy, despite being raised indoors with lots of noises. They don't really care about barking dogs, though.

Rckirby, it's okay to have two drakes as long as you don't have any other hens. If you ever want hens, the general rule is 2 or 3 hens for every drake. But, myself and another member have a flock of five, with two drakes and three hens, and everyone gets along well. But neither of us have gone through any serious mating, yet, so that could change.

Learningstill, that duck is cute! She's one of your Khaki/Mallard mixes?

I love the pic of the goat and the duck, looks like the duck went "Whoa."  Did you post on the buy sell trade thread for your drakes?

No, I did not. Is that by area? My daughter and I are making a website and plan to post them on Craigslist too. They are my eleven year old daughters ducks.

The duck did not want to sit still and the goat was trying to help me take the photo. So helpful :)

Zombified,

The ducklings are all drakes and yes they are khaki/mallard mixes. We do have some mallard drakes too. The one with the goat may be just a mallard.

Wow, all drakes? Are you selling all of them?

We are selling all our drakes besides the adults. I think we have six or seven little drakes and one adult drake that are going to leave. Out of those probably three or four are pure mallards and the rest are khaki mallard mixes. We have too many drakes. Some are my daughters favorite, but we cannot keep them. :(

Back
Top Bottom